1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Critique my Aquascape

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by cooledwhip, Jun 15, 2016.

1. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

You do know you have to prime a canister filter every time you break the suction correct? that is part of normal operation. It will not pull water in on its own without being primed. Some nicer filters have priming pumps or buttons on them to pull water in at the startup, most do not...which means generally you have to suck on the outlet to start the process. If you have a lily pipe the end of a turkey baster works well to start the suction. You should not turn your filter on until it has filled with water, it is not a dry pump and running it dry can ruin it.

I do not think you have a broken filter...I think you are not familiar with how to operate a canister. I had a hell of a time when I first got a canister filter...now I'm very good at getting it primed and troubleshooting problems.

When you turn it off if you have valves on the hoses you can close them and leave the filter running for up to 30 minutes and preserve the siphon. After 30 minutes you could start to do harm to your biofilter from a lack of water flow. For longer maintenance sessions you should empty the filter of water and replace the lid to maintain humidity while you do the maintenance to preserve the biofilter.

Sponsored link:

2. ShadowMac

It is hard to say considering you left it without water flow for two days.

What type of sand? Caribsea I think I remember you saying. This could be the clarifier as it removes the fine particles by causing them to stick together and drop out of the water column or be filtered easier. Just siphon it out and change water. You should change water frequently in the beginning anyways. I wouldn't get all freaked out about it.

The wood can develop some fungus in the beginning, but will go away on its own. This will look like a white fuzz.

I saw in an earlier post you said you were using a dechlorinator and seachem's prime. Prime is a dechlorinator you do not need to use both.

3. cooledwhip

cooledwhip New Member

Haha. Look at the water. Crystal. Clear. No fines clogging it up.

I know I have to prime the filter everytime. This is the problem that happens though:

That is also the solution too.

And here are the pics of the water:

http://imgur.com/a/lYFVq

RockvsWood likes this.
  4. ShadowMac

Looks like a design issue. Nothing horrible but annoying for sure.

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

5. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

cooledwhip

All I can say thank goodness for Eheim not only for the primer but I could fill the inlet and outlet tubes as well.

Keith:cat::cat:

cooledwhip likes this.
  6. cooledwhip

cooledwhip New Member

Should I start dosing ferts? I can do the E.I. method but I'd prefer flourish.

Plants list: Anubias Nana Petite, Java Ferns, Java moss, flame moss, (theres about 2 ounces of the moss), Cryptocornes, jungle val, and thats it. I ask this because there is some kinda dead leaves on the plants, and the jungle val is melting bad. I'm not too worried about losing the jungle val but I wouldn't like to.

7. ShadowMac

You should probably start dosing since you have used a less nutrient rich substrate. You can choose what you want to use but should ensure all macro and micro nutrients are covered.

Melting isn't uncommon in the first week or so. Frequent water changes will help.

keithgh likes this.
  8. keithgh

cooledwhip

You can always use a quality fert tabs for any rooted plants as per instructions.

ShadowMac likes this.
  9. cooledwhip

cooledwhip New Member

Ok I am starting to use seachem flourish for now. That should be enough as the plants are low req.

I will be stocking it soon, I created a thread about it if you want to check it out.

keithgh and ShadowMac like this.
  10. keithgh

cooledwhip

Seachem Flourish is very good but you will have to feed the rooted plants with the fert tabs as per directions.

11. cooledwhip

cooledwhip New Member

Seachem root tabs is most likely the way I will go.

There aren't many substrate plants in the tank. Only the crypts and small amount of jungle val, and when I put the sand in the tank, I first put in a small layer of organic dirt and seachem flourite. I think thats enough nutrients for a little while, but I will do the root tabs as well.

Check out my thread on stockign plzzzz

12. keithgh

cooledwhip

You require the fert tabs from the start to give them a good start, if the Crypts do not get a good start there is a very good chance they will melt very quickly.