1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Critique my Aquascape

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by cooledwhip, Jun 15, 2016.

1. cooledwhip

cooledwhip New Member

I am pretty much finished with my 45 gallon tall. It has some nice sand as well as rocks and some driftwood that I ordered online. I want to fill it soon but I want people to critique it and give some suggestions on where to move stuff or if I should add/remove anything. I ordered lots of mosses, some anubias and java fern that I am waiting on. They should be in by next week. I am planning on filling the tank the day I get the plants in though.

Are the two pieces of driftwood I have placed well? I am not too sure about the piece on the right.

Idk if I should remove the pile of rocks under the main piece of driftwood.

Also how should I secure these to the rocks?

Here are the pictures of the tank: http://imgur.com/a/6rlNh

Sponsored link:

2. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

The main attraction hard scrape is shoved into the corners. Move them closer to the middle(horizontal depth wise) and show e'm off!

ShadowMac likes this.
  3. cooledwhip

cooledwhip New Member

I don't want to have the hard scape centered in the middle of the tank, I think that would be a bit hard to do. What do you mean? I plan on having corycats so they need lots of food print space.

4. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I have to say, you are good at asking for critique or advice...not the best at accepting it...

Lucas is right, in this square/rectangular shaped aquascape moving things up and to the center would look best. At the least you could lean the hardscape against the back panel, but pretty much center it there. The rule of thirds doesn't apply that well to this type of shape.

You will not lose any footprint regardless of where you place the hardscape...you are still using the same amount of stones and wood which will take up an equivalent amount of surface area.

keithgh likes this.
  5. cooledwhip

cooledwhip New Member

Ok I will try and rescape it from the center but I still want the piece of driftwood coming down like a root. I will most likely do that tomorrow and upload pictures. I'm just scared if I mess it up I will lose this design I have. Should I have all the rocks making an island? Also should I do like 1 layer of rocks or stack them?

6. ShadowMac

there isn't really a "wrong way". There is preference on position and there are certainly things that look best. That being said, it is your tank and you can do what you like.

If you keep the branches in the current orientation I would do my best to attach moss or plants to the top cutoff portion so you can cover it up. I would also use the two branches together in the same position or hardscape, have them work together.

I like having the rocks all in one place. Stack them randomly so they look natural. Look at other scapes to get an idea or even look at photos of nature. Do not spread them out all over evenly that will not look good. Overall you did a good job of placing the stones.

7. cooledwhip

cooledwhip New Member

I rearranged the pieces and got this:

http://imgur.com/a/Nchwr

It looks a little different from the pictures as I did move some more stuff around a little bit. It looks like a little bit of a slope on the rocks coming forward. its really nice.

ShadowMac likes this.
  8. cooledwhip

cooledwhip New Member

For plants I have flame moss, java moss, some crypts, anubias nana petite.

9. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

Angle the tips of the largest wood 5-7" closer to the bottom right corner. The rocks positions look much better

10. cooledwhip

cooledwhip New Member

Back right corner? The farther one?

11. ShadowMac

I like this better, you still have your corners...but the way you've moved the stones creates a more cohesive back portion to the hardscape. Depending upon planting it'll look good. Hopefully you are planning to use mostly all epiphytes like anubias and ferns

12. cooledwhip

cooledwhip New Member

Ok I did slope it down a bit from the back. Some rocks are moved around but it generally looks like the pictures. I am much more happy with this and it's pleasing to the eye.

Should I fill it now or should I wait for the plants to come in before I fill?

13. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

cooledwhip

Aquascaping is certainly not done in a hurry unless you are an expert even then a lot of planning is necessary.

On the plus side the rocks look OK its the DW that concerns me completely, they do not match other two pieces similar to the LH side could look a lot better.

Location stuck in the corners looks like an after thought, to make it look good I strongly suggest two pieces intertwined centrally/slightly off centre could look spectacular if done correctly and with the correct plants.

Keith:cat::cat:

ShadowMac likes this.
  14. kingkoopa

kingkoopa New Member

I think in the pic the dw on left looks nice the bigger you can cut it to different sizes like the one on the left. My opinion at least

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

15. keithgh

kingkoopa

Its great to have other opinions posted.

16. ShadowMac

You need to wait for your plants to fill it. It should be planted first. The wood will float until it's saturated, you need to weigh it down

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

cooledwhip likes this.
  17. cooledwhip

cooledwhip New Member

Ok I have the driftwood kinda held down with some rocks, so it should be fine. I got some jungle val today at my LFS (the rest of the plants I ordered) I got about 8 "stems" of jungle val and some runners for $15!! Awesome.

Also the lights are gorgeous. The finnex planted+ 24/7. I know you didn't suggest it but it does practically the same thing as the fluval aquasky and it works great. Super powerful light on max, plus you can change the brightness A LOT. I have almost a full range from barely light - full on blast. You should try it on your next tank. It's sleek and nice. I like it.

Also for stocking, I was thinking of the freshwater angelfish, some corys, and tetras. Idk how many angelfish, I think you suggested five? Someone did. And for the tetras I read they could become food for the angelfish?

ShadowMac likes this.
  18. keithgh

19. ShadowMac

I may check out the finnex. I'd like something brighter than the eco bright I'm running on a tank and need a 20" light.

I would not house small tetras with the angel fish. small fish and shrimp can be snacks for them. If you keep angels, a shrimp cleanup crew may not work, so you'll need others like SAEs and nerites.

20. keithgh

cooledwhip

Personally I would not keep Angel's in your tank to have a good display you require a bigger tank so they can display them selves fully.
    [​IMG]
    This tank is 1280 x 720

This is exactly what I am referring to.

ShadowMac likes this.