1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Critique away!

Discussion in 'Critique My Aquascape' started by craig, Feb 24, 2009.

1. craig

craig New Member

hi all i am noew here and would love to get some feedback on how to improve my scape. I can take criticism well so please dont hold back :)
    Here are some photos of the tank...not sure which is easiest to see so i just posted three different photos from the front of the tank.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sponsored link:

2. craig

craig New Member

sorry...i just read the "rules of this section and left out some thing...

this is what i have running on this tank:
    ADA 60-p tank
    i have an ehiem 2215 filter with a hydor external heater and 18W UV that runs inline with the eheim. (i only run the UV when needed)
    Pressurized co2 w/ ada diffusor

Lighting:
    150W HQI (ADA solar-1) with the 8k lamp that came with it...

Substrate and dosing
    power sand M as bottom layer of substrate
    amazonia 2 regular grain as the base substrate
    amazonia 2 powder grain on top
    Dosing Pfertz as directed by Pfertz for a lightly planted tank.

Plants:
    HC
    B. Japonica
    E. Parvula

fish/inverts:
    None as of yet but i plan to either go with a school of Rasbora hets, Aphyocharax rathbuni's, or Thayeria boehlkei's (i cant decide :) )
    And then for inverts i plan to go with Caridina japonicas

So, here is the thing....I am not fond of the background of dwarf hairgrass and b.japonica...And i feel the rocks need something (like moss of some sort or something...i dont know) but i want the rocks to still dominate the scape and not be drowned out with plants. So basically i feel the tank needs something but i dont know what that something is.... Any ideas?

3. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

glassware needs a clean ;)

I think this scape looks pretty good. The only thing I would say (being very picky) is that the path seems to come to a dead end (seeing the top of the rocks.)

Maybe rather than veering so far towards the left side where you can see the rocks stop before the edge it may have been better to go toward the rear so the end of the pathway's 'cliffs' wouldn't be so apparent.

All in all looks good though

AC

4. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

beautiful scape, though I think need more slope at the road path. Your photo was taken angle from top. If you take photo from center, you probably wont be able to see the road path.

Blyxa japonica can grow quite big, dwarf hairgrass should be ok. If you want some tall plant at the back, you can try E.viviapara.

5. craig

craig New Member

Not sure if am following what you are saying??

:) you are right!!! that is why every photo is taken at a slight downward angle. I like the blyxa japonica more so than the dwarf hairgrass. In every other tank that i grew dwarf hairgrass...i would constantly battle cladophora so i just want to avoid that with this tank. what do you think of pulling out the dwarf hairgrass all together and just have the B. Japonica as the backgound?

As far as the hardscape is concerned... ill try raising the path on a steeper angle as you suggest and see if that sparks any ideas :)
    Thank you for your suggestions!

6. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

Caridina japonicas should take care cladophora (green hair algae) in no time, have to starve them though :p.

I guess it is up to individual, I would say that Blyxa japonica will probably cover the rock. but you can try it out and give us photo update :)). You can always take it out later when it does not worked out. It is easier to take out Blyxa Japonica compare to dwarf hairgrass due to the shoot.

7. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

How old is this scape?
    I wonder why does your Blyxa and Hairgrass are still so small!?

8. craig

craig New Member

its been running since around october... The hair grass and blyxa are small because i recently added them in attempt to enhance the scape. Im not sure if i like it or not which is why i ask for suggestions.

9. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

I would wait untill this new plants grew up a bit

10. craig

craig New Member

thanks for all the advice i really appreciate it immensely! I will allow it to grow in but i guess i just wanted some others opinions before waiting for these plants to grow out and then decide to go with a different plant. Well anyway.... i added some cardinal tetras today...not the most rare fish or exciting selection but i just love the way they look in a nice sized school! Something about the shimmering blue and red against a lush green carpet of HC i find to be an awesome sight especially under the shimmer of metal halides... Ill post some photos as soon as i get a chance to break out the camera and set up for a photo shoot. Thanks again for all the words of advice

11. craig

craig New Member

well figured id update...I sloped the path upwards towards the back and it makes a big difference! thanks for the tip!! Here is the scape as of tonight. The reason the drop checker is reading low co2 because it is night time and i just turned the light on to do a water change and to snap some photos :)

[​IMG]

12. Mellonman

Mellonman New Member

Really nice scape... very personal...

Since you want criticism ;) :
    - HC seems a little bit overgrown on the right. It looked better in the first set of pictures, when the stones could still be seen
    - I would put a little bush in the left back corner, not too high, to make like if the "tunnel" was continued.
    - Blyxa in the center is distracting

13. Carolina

Carolina New Member

Love the placement of the sand. For it gives depth to the scape. Next time I break my tank down I will apply sand in similar method in my tank.

14. craig

craig New Member

Thanks and i agree i def need to prune the HC :) laziness i guess!

when you say a bush in the back left corner...do you mean the corner where there is the hairgrass? or on the other side of the stone kinda back and to the left of the blyxa?

15. Mellonman

Mellonman New Member

Isn't there hairgrass in both back corners ? ;)

I was talking about the left corner, under the drop-checker...

16. craig

craig New Member

Yeah there is hairgrass is both corners :)
    that is exactly where i thought you were talking about...I was gonna let the hairgrass fill that area in...What would you suggest for a "bush"?

17. Supercoley1

What I meant by this was not in a bad way. I just meant that with the left hand rocks pointing straight to the left glass (or so it appears from the picture) it looks like they just stop rather than appearing to be as far as you can see and there may be something behind(over the horizon.)

With the latest picture (it may be the lighting) it is starting to look like 2 different scapes with the right rocks appearing to be different to the left hand side.

The right side reminds me of Peter Kirwan's mountainscape whereas the left hand side has a more 'sinister' look to it ;)

AC

18. craig

craig New Member

I took no offense what so ever :) i was just trying to figure out what location you were talking about so i knew where in the scape you were referring to.

For some reason the rocks on the left cover with algae in a different fashion than the stones on the right...though they are the same type of stones. I think it may also appear that they are different due to those few lighter stripes in the stones on the left side of the scape. (which has annoyed me from day 1 but i just liked the way the shapes of the stones laid out so i overlooked it hehe!)

Ill have to look up Peter Kirwan's tank...im not familiar with that scape (at least not by name) Sinister!! awesome!! Im still trying to come up with a name for this scape and i may work that in somehow :)

Thanks again,
    Craig

19. Supercoley1

20. defdac

defdac New Member

So beautiful. I love the algae on the stones making it more genuine och natural. I would very much like to have this tank at home and watch it develop.

One thing I don't like is overly burnt out backgrounds. It's unnaturally black due to heavy photoshopping, which is also seen in the reflections of the background in the surface. A little bit of burn-touchup is nice especially on black backgrounds, but the last picture a tad too much =)