1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

creeping jenny!

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants' started by randy0319, Oct 31, 2010.

1. randy0319

randy0319 Aspiring Aquascaper

I just read from two other sites that the terrestrial plant that people use as a ground cover called 'Creeping Jenny' can be totally submerged and it will grow under water!!!!! I had no idea!! I got to go pick some and throw it in my tank to see what happens!! Spread the word---R

2. randy0319

The species is called lysimachia nummularia that can go in the tank as well as the garden. Moneywort is another common name. I guess that there are a variety of creeping jenny species that will melt in water. So far only the lysimachia is to be plunged.

3. urbanherbalist

urbanherbalist New Member

I've seen pictures of this plant growing out of the back of HOB filters! :proud:

4. Gill

Gill New Member

Yep, I have used it in the past and it does well in transition. I tend to Buy it from the marginal pond plant section. I also Ask politley to have some sprigs of it from hanging baskets from neighbours.

5. randy0319

I went and swiped a few spriggs from a local church garden, stuck it in my tank in a temporary little pot with substrate etc. and BOOM!! It is putting out roots climbing for the top and sprouting like mad! I have cut it back three times now and am keeping the cuttings for my eventual tank. the runner roots and long and white. This stuff is amazing OH!!! and here is another plant that I ran across..."the parlor palm" chamaedorea elegans..go to the plant section in your super market...find a little palm of that name, dump it in your tank palm fronds and all from what I have read...Florida Aquatic nurseries carries them but I bet that they are cheaper at the market and slow growers too.

6. BioLogic

BioLogic New Member

Chaemodorea elegans is not an obligate aquatic - it is submerged when the flood waters rise in the Amazon and then it spends a few months of its life underwater in a dormant state. only once the floodwaters recede and it is high and dry does it grow again.

7. randy0319

Gill,
    nice pic of the green fish too. green is now my favorite color...just not in tank water...lol.

8. randy0319

so if I buy one it will stay in a static state and not grow? How long would it last in a tank? there could be advantages to this. please advise