1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Creating Hills/Mountains

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by SinCrisis, Jun 3, 2011.

1. SinCrisis

SinCrisis New Member

Hi All, I was wondering if anyone could give me tips on creating a mountain-like/hill look in a small 5g tank? I was hoping that it would look like a hill with rocks jutting out. However, I am unsure as to what to use as substrate under the rock? I wanted to use sand, but i am afraid of the sand loosening and the eventual collapse of the scape and of compaction and anaerobic conditions forming under the larger rocks. Is there a technique in forming that kind of scape? I have seen similar ideas used before, but am unsure of how to set it up.

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

i have seen someone use a nylon stocking (pantyhose) filled with quartz gravel. his post with pictures is around this site somewhere... I have done the same twice to help hold up my slopes, but filled them with regular fishtank gravel.

I would assumer larger granules are best so that water can flow through easier.

I like the nylon stockings method. Very easy to work with its like a flexible rock as the base.

3. wearsbunnyslippers

wearsbunnyslippers New Member

4. SinCrisis

SinCrisis New Member

Thanks! I will give this a try. I normally hate anything artificial in my tanks, even if its hidden, its a weird pet peeve, but i think that this method with the stocking is the best way to get this done. Do I have to worry about the stocking breaking apart in the future? I am hoping to not change the scape for at least 2 years. Thanks for the tip!

5. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I don't know how long it lasts. The first setup I've used it in has only been going for 6 months or less.