1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Crab Paludarium

Discussion in 'Ripariums & Paludariums' started by redb33rd, Jan 16, 2014.

1. redb33rd

redb33rd New Member

I am currently in the early planning of a palidarium of a 80-100 litre tank for vampire crabs, and with rasboras, shrimps and clamps in the water part.

Gh: 9
    Temp: 27 C
    PH 6,5

I want to have a lush environment both above and beneath the water, with moss covering the surface and downoi covering the bottom.

Explanation for the picture:
    A: terrarium background made with bogwood, expanding foam and silicon covered with coconut substrate. Kind of like this
    http://bigalsonline.blog.com/files/2011/08/IMG_1342.jpg

B: a rocky part of the background forming a waterfall. I plan to use real rocks attached the same way as the bogwood to get a more natural feeling.

C: Will create a border here of rocks. On the inside I will have a layer of hydroballs covered by film with a layer of plant soil on top of that.

D: Pump. I plan to have the pump here and have a hose going inside the background to the waterfall.

E: Sand. Here there will be a layer of fine aquarium sand, on each side plant substrate with carpeted downoi.

F: Paphiopedilum orchid. Around the plants will be a carpet of living moss. I will add specialized soil around the individual plants.

G: pinnatum aureum, ivy, climbing over parts of the background

H: Nepenthes lowii, Low`s pitcher plant

I: Peace Lily, I may try to have some of the roots submerged in the water below.

This is my first time doing a setup like this. So I try to be thorough and careful.

A couple of questions.

1. Will a waterfall put together with several pieces of rock mended with expanding foam and silicon hold? Can this kind of construction take high humidity or submersion?

2. What should I do for air circulation? How much is necessary?

Will appriciate any feedback.

Attached Files:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

redb

Welcome to ASW could you fill in your location and country please.

I like your choice of plants will they all fit in your tank.

Inhabitants now that sounds very interesting crabs & shrimps?

What are the measurements of the tank.

This is one project I will be watching with interest.

Keith:):)

3. redb33rd

redb33rd New Member

Thank you for your reply Keithg.
    I live in Oslo, Norway.
    I have not yet purchased a tank, but I plan on a somewhat deep and tall tank. Maybe something like 60X50X60.
    As for inhabitans I plan to keep a group of Vampire crabs(Geosesarma), cherry shrimps, fan shrimp, asian freshwater clamp and a school of dwarf or chili rasbora.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  4. redb33rd

redb33rd New Member

I forgot to mention. I plan to have pretty high light in this tank, about 1w per litre. Does any of these plants require shade?