1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Corys and soil

Discussion in 'Fish' started by Miipa, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Miipa

Miipa New Member

Hello I just found this site and there are some pretty awesome tanks here :D

Since you all have a lot of experience I thought I'd ask about Corydoras and soil, is anyone doing that and is it going good? The gravel I have now is just a huge no-no so I'm removing all of it and I'd prefer to use soil, both for the plants and the colors just suit my taste better but I gotta think of the little Corys!

2. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

I have no idea about soil however sand is best for Corys. They like to 'sand sift' to feed so I always add some sand to my tanks. currently a foreground only so doesn't have to be all of it.

Andy

3. ghostsword

ghostsword Aspiring Aquascaper Staff Member

They love sand. I always mix it on the tanks, more at the front, allowing a mix at the back.

Corydoras is my favourite fish, not often used on aquascaping, but they have lovely characters.

4. Miipa

Miipa New Member

I've had sand but ended up hurting them as the sand was sharp :( They also weren't as happy about the sand as the gravel I have in now.. so I'd rather put soil but wasn't sure if it was going to be bad for them.

5. StanChung

StanChung Aspiring Aquascaper

Dwarf cories are super! haha.
    The bigger ones can push the soil & mix up white sand and soil setups.
    They love to shove their whiskers in the substrate and this does make small clouds of dust in soil and cause some minor cloudiness.

However you should still create a thin layered area of fine sand for them to do this activity. Use stones to barricade the soil & sand areas to reduce/prevent mixing.

Plants like hairgrass, once grown and spread in the soil will prevent them from mixing and making cloud puffs.

6. Miipa

Miipa New Member

I took a shot, I couldn't see any sites or info anywhere saying not to do it so I took all the fish out and made a full gravel change. The Corys LOVE it! They're racing over the surface and the tiny soil pebbles are just swirling around them. I got the small type, they're not as big and round as the regular soil, look just like tiny gravel but doesn't weigh as much. So far it's a hit.

The plan is to make a sand bank, I will create separators with aquarium approved plastic to make sure the sand and soil doesn't mix :) But I have to find sand that I like first and before that, a layout that I like!

As of now they're doing great so I don't worry anymore. Though they are a little pissed that they can't find any food but since I removed like half of my biofilter with the gravel they won't get any snacks tonight :p