1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Confusing KH, GH Results

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Wendy1B, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Wendy1B

Wendy1B Aspiring Aquascaper

Hi all, I have a bit of a mystery on my hands. My tap water TDS is at 136 ppm. GH is at 8 degrees and KH is at 7 degrees, PH is 7.8. These results were achieved with API Test Kits (and a TDS meter). I made RO water with my new unit (RO Buddy), and now the TDS meter reads 001 ppm, PH is 6.4, but I can't get the KH or GH to change colors. I stopped at 13 drops each. All it does is deepen the original shade, it doesn't change over to the 2nd color. Is this because there is no GH or KH in my RO water? Or am I doing something wrong?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Keith

RO "should" have a reading of Zero GH and ZeroKH if my research is correct, that would be if your testing equipment is 100% correct plus you tested it correctly.

I only every owned a pH test kit every thing else was done at the LFS it was far cheaper than buying an expensive test kit.

Keith:cat::cat:

3. Wendy1B

Wendy1B Aspiring Aquascaper

I have confirmed with the CRS breeder that since the RO water has zero KH & GH, the colors of the API test kits will not change. What a relief! I wish I had a LFS I could trust with my water tests. We have an excellent saltwater store, but it's over a 30 minute drive, and I'm not sure they even test for low range PH or KH & GH. All the other LFS around here have offered me some pretty silly 'advice' and I just don't trust them with anything.

4. keithgh

Wendy
    My best LFS's were about a 50min drive and most of that on a freeway, it was worth the extra drive to get what I wanted.

5. keithgh

Wendy

Did you every get your water tests sorted out. If not the only way would be you would have to buy your own and possibly expensive Test kit.