1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Common (fluffy) algae?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Laurystevens, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Laurystevens

Laurystevens New Member

well since making major changes as advised by many helpful people on here, there is no sign of any nusense algae that has returned eg green spot algae etc....but one has

It's the "common" algae that looks a little fluffy and loves the glass best. Any ideas why?

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

does it look like green dust? pictures?

3. Laurystevens

Laurystevens New Member

no, it just looks soft, if moves gently with the current, I'll struggle to get a photo but i'll try tonight. Also now got cyanobacteria growing on selected leaves of plants :eyeroll:

4. ShadowMac

sorry to hear you are having more troubles.

remove the leaves with the cyano bacteria to prevent it from spreading. i have one place in my tank where it will pop up if things get out of line. How is your flow? How long is your photoperiod?

the other algae sounds like a typical green algae. do you have algae eaters in your tank? ottos? shrimp?

answers to most algae issues are the same: reduce light and/or increase Co2; check fert regiment; and be sure flow is good with no deadspots. all leaves should be gently moving in the current.

5. Laurystevens

Laurystevens New Member

I have no dead spots as I have two multi-directional power heads, the Cyano seems to actually be dying in some places, it doesn't look healthy and seems to be loosing a it's bright colour and rolling back on itself a little? Photo period is 7 hours currently, Aquaray LED's only. I have Otto's...2! The other 8 died within the first 3 months...bad batch that I bought I believe. I do need more but have to wait until pay day and IF I can get hold of any. I've tried shrimps before and they have always died, I don't know why, slow acclimation too, but they never live past 24-48 hours.

6. ShadowMac

are they cherry shrimp? if so they are fairly resilient and this may be an indication of other problems with water quality. maybe a build up of organics? hmmm, this is getting to be a bit out of my league!

if all other things are fine then i would stick with just the LED's. manipulating the light is your best bet. Stick with these changes for a while, frequent adjustments do not help.

7. Laurystevens

Laurystevens New Member

I never got around to trying cherry shrimp, I was told they weren't as good ad Amano shrimp, I'm also aware though that Amano shrimp do like semi-brackish water (for breeding usually)?, but never had much luck. Maybe I should try get some cherry shrimp once my tank has settled?

8. ShadowMac

amanos are probably the best algae eaters as shrimp go. They do fine in freshwater.

Cherry shrmp are good, prolific, and rather hardy. I keep both. I'm not the greatest shrimp keeper, however. My darn fish keep picking at my red fire cherries, so I can't get a good population going.