1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Common Aquascaping Mistakes

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by John N., Apr 25, 2012.

1. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

How about too much plants to start?

Lots of plants leads to a messy aquascape, no? :nolook:

-John N.

Sponsored link:

2. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

i agree with you John.
    but i think what juri ment is not the mass of different plantspecies, but more the potions. ever tryed to grow a good carpet with 1 pot of glosso in a 200 Liter tank? ;).
    the Problem is: not enough plants, to much fish, feeding, fertilizing, light -> algae growth.
    i hope i understood that correctly juri :D

3. randy0319

randy0319 Aspiring Aquascaper

I think proportion issues has some validity. My first tanks were two ten gal standards. Thinking that was a good deal, I spent countless days worrying about perameters, h2o chem, ferts, DIY CO2, etc. I finally bought some bigger tanks, pressurized CO2, better lighting, and life got a bit easier. I guess we all start out with different talents and different lack of knowledge. For me, one of my biggest beginner mistakes was wanting the 'perfect tank'. Is there such a thing? If so, how long can it be maintained? The learning curve will be different for each person and its slope of steepness depends on the persons goals...and endurance.

4. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Juri means too few plants, I always try and buy at least enough plants to cover 50% of the substrate. Any less and life gets hard very quickly.

5. iam_koi

iam_koi New Member

In my opinion, beginners often choose smaller tanks rather than big or medium tanks because they think it is much easier.

6. Swanno

Swanno New Member

How would you put it I'm a newbie. I agree with iam_koi's comment, I too have gone for smaller tanks for that very reason.
    At the momment I have a 45 litre tank with Guppies, tetra's and 2 bristle noise catfish. Most of the equipment is 2nd hand (free...).
    I did quite a bit of homework on plants and fish but when your in the store you feel rushed and you make mistakes.