1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Commercial Tank Suggestions Needed

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by Garhan, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Garhan

Garhan New Member

Hello all,
    I have been asked to setup a planted tank on a commercial bases. Again like others it is 48l x 12w x 18t. Depth is an issue apparently. But my thoughts are that I want to keep this very simple. I can only spend 1 hour a week with it to maintain the tank after the initial setup. I will hopefully run EI fert base and ask one of the staff to do the dailey dosing. Not my favorite idea though. What I intend to do here is setup 12 film containers premixed with dry ferts and have them tagged Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Alternately I will also have 2 or 3 syringes preloaded with Trace Element in liquid at 10ml per syringe marked Tuesday, and Thursday.
    My delema is what would some of you suggest as a plant layout that would look appealing but is relatively easy to maintain. I dont really want crazy growth and have to trim considerable amounts. Any ideas would be greatfull as I know there are several people doing commercial tanks. Dont forget the client wants only a 1 hour visit per week.

On the other hand maybe I shoulnt even bother....but he is a friend.

2. Anti-Pjerrot

Anti-Pjerrot New Member

Go for a low light, bottom ferts only, slow grow, no CO2 tank. Lots of moss, anubias, crypts and ferns. Just fill with roots and some moss-rocks and dont save any space for algae...

Easy to do, easy to hold, nice to watch.

3. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

I agree. With the short depth from front to back, I think you maybe want to either try a set of low light plants as suggested above. This way you won't need to have that much maintenance (both trimming and fertilizing).

The other option is to go with a Iwagumi layout with HC. HC grows slow enough where there won't be any major trimming. Maybe once a month you can go in and make any necessary adjustments. This layout will make that 12 inch depth larger then it is. Just be sure to get a nice set of rocks, and create good slopes to set the stage for the scape.

Also, fish selection is important especially in a commercial/public area. I think a large school of fish is very attractive to guests.

-John N.

4. Garhan

Garhan New Member

Gents,
    Thank you very much for your input. I think you both make very good points. It just so happens that I have loads of Java Ferns in 2 types, Anubias in 3 species and Java Moss in 3 species. (Tearing down an old established 40 gallon for repairs.)Hardscape is done as of today. Just need to polish the water as I used Seachems Florite Black Sand as a topsoil and it leaves a very milky residue, even after extensive washing...Will see tomorrow how that comes clean with the diatom filter running overnight.

Cheers..