1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Co2 setups

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Original, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Original

Original Aspiring Aquascaper

I'm looking on upgrading everything in my tank, first was the filter, then the lights, now I'm looking for some Co2, I'm wondering what to buy though.

I've seen
    D-D 600gm disposable tank kit, £124 looks similar to JBL brand but minus the gauge, I believe it only has the working pressure gauge and not the other.. the other is bottle capacity right?

I'm also looking at JBL brand u401 £120 and m601 £168. Whats the difference here? I read the 601 can fit larger co2 canisters, can the 401 do this?
    EDIT: after more browsing I understand JBL does not come complete with solenoid, and for that cost, definitely no.

Or, which I'm leaning towards. Buying a fire extinguisher and a regulator and solenoid and making my own? I just don't know.
    Do the majority of regulators fit the threads on extinguishers? Regulator+Solenoid ~ £60 and 2kg extinguisher £37

What should I do?

2. knocker

knocker New Member

Hello,
    If you looking for something simple and reliable, just get one of these. Probably best prise/value choise if you looking for single stage system. YOu just will need something diferent to disolve CO2.
    I am using this system already 5 years, and still everything is ok.
    They ship internationaly.

3. Original

154 eur. Knocker,

Like I said I think im better off going fire extinguisher 37gbp, solenoid+regulator+needle valve 60gpb. I'd be saving quite a lot that way.

4. Original

Guys i need help choosing a regulator with solenoid and needle valve.

I'm going to list some could I please get some input

Theres a HSL brand one here:
    CO2 Systems For Your Aquarium - CO2 Supermarket
    [​IMG]

A UP brand one here
    CO2 Regulator Dual Gauged Solenoid Magnetic Valve A153 | eBay
    [​IMG]

Or TMC reg here:
    http://www.h2oaquatics.co.uk/saltwater-equipment/co2-regulators/tmc-v2-co2-pressure-regulator-pro
    [​IMG]

Please advise on these or others, I would appreciate help before I purchase one to make sure i get the best quality one..

I live UK and prefer to buy from within the UK for items such as these.

Please advise me

5. Original

I've got a 2kg FE on the way and some Co2 tubing, I already have a bubble counter and glass diff. But please I do need help with the choice of reg.

6. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

You may be able to get a better regulator by looking at ones not specifically built for aquarium usage.

I'm not familiar with UK brands, but this thread here should really answer nearly ANY question about a regulator as well as providing info on good parts to get yourself a top quality regulator: Dual Stage Regulators - Aquarium Plants

7. Original

Thanks for your feedback shadow, that link has a lot of info to take in but once I get a chance il try and absorb some info and check some prices, I need a meter reader, solenoid, needle vale and a few other bits and pieces? Think it's worth building one rather than buying one of the above?

8. Original

I'm just going to buy a premade one for convenience I would hate to buy the wrong fittings, which of the above would you recommend? Anyone? The tmc one looks best quality to me and is the most expensive out of the three, I've seen it 89gbp some places. So 66 seems a good deal?

9. Original

Sorry for all these comments I am just eager to purchase a regulator before this FE arrives, can anyone tell me if any of those I listed are two-stage regs? I have a feeling they aren't. Actually now having read up a lot I'm confident they aren't, and I'm not so sure about the single stage regs I posted above.

I want a reliable piece which isn't going to dump co2 into the tank nearing the end of the bottle, and I'm looking at duel stage regs now after reading a whole lot but they're a lot more costly and I worry I'll get a reg, but have difficulty finding the correct solenoid, needle valve and correct fittings to bring it all together. I didn't know the world of co2 equipment was so diverse. If only I could absorb information off the internet like that girl out the matrix, things would be so much easier.

I'm sure it's a fairly simple concept of all these fittings once I get my head around it but I haven't a whole lot of time at the moment to learn :/

10. Original

I'm building my own two-stage, thanks for referring me to the barrreport Shadow, big help!

11. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

glad to be of help.

best of luck with your regulator build

12. The Stig

The Stig New Member

Not trying to steal the thread or anything but I have a CO2 system that is based on a large carbon (coal) plate and some aluminum stuff that sends an electric current through the coal plate. I am experiencing problems with rust water and some sort of crystals that build up on the CO2 thing and breaks the coal plate. I'll post pics when I can find some...

13. ghostsword

ghostsword Aspiring Aquascaper Staff Member

That coal plate malarky does not really work, more of a gymmick. Invest on a proper co2 setup and you will be fine.

I don't know what is the secret of success, but the secret of failure is trying to please the world!

14. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

hi original,

the difference between those JBL products is just the bottle. at u401 there is just a one way bottle, after it s empty you have to buy a new bottle. at m601 it s a moreway bottle that you can refill. i bought the u401 and i m really happy with it, you still have the option to switch to moreway bottle at u401. :113: ;)