1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Cleaning external filter in a shrimp tank

Discussion in 'Shrimp and Invertz' started by RONY11, Sep 3, 2012.

1. RONY11

RONY11 New Member

I was interested in knowing how often do other hobbyists clean their external filter in a shrimp tank?

Do u wash the media, change the perlon, change purigen, etc every 3 months just like in a planted fish tank? [​IMG]
    Does anyone use activated carbon at all?

2. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

I personally clean my filters monthly and clean the filter polishing floss weekly.
    Purigen can be replace when it's black or reactivated. Perlon?

I use carbon but don't replace it, it has extremely high biological capacity so I don't dispose of it or replace it.
    By wash, in tank water, not under a running tap and you'll be fine.

3. jasonperry

jasonperry Aspiring Aquascaper

hi there wel this is the way i do my filtration i keep a mid tech planted with shrimps i clean my external every month like any other of the filters iv used in the pasted and replace the filter wool i dont change the bio media think bio filtration helps brake down waste matter and help reduce algea if the bio balls and rings are estabilished well. and i dont use active carbon i wash the bio rings and balls in the (aquarium water) that i have took out for water change i replace the bio sponge when it gets to the point of nafed i dont use active carbon in my planted if you think of the job it dose strips stuff out like they say when treating with medicans to take the active carbon out yes its good for taking desises out and heavy metals but think it holds them in the carbon and if its not changed regular it can bearst the desises straight back into the aquarium so yeah active carbon has its good but if miss used it can also lead to bad i made the mistake my seft in my first ever aquarium. i also used active carbon when i had a chiclid tank but i changed the chemical active cabon every 4 weeks depending on what type of active carbon it is but changed regular the better. cleaning every month is safe and clean but deffo use the aquarium water not the tap thats my advice i clean once a month all the sponges and media in the bucket filled with the aquarium water and when i replace the filter wool i rinse it in aquarium water aswel.

hope this is helpful ;)

4. jasonperry

jasonperry Aspiring Aquascaper

lol garuf i was writing all this out and just realised that you have just posted lol thought i would help ha ha

5. RONY11

RONY11 New Member

Thanks for the replies. I have an Eheim 2227 Filter with 2 baskets the bottom basket is full of Sera Siporax, Jbl ceramic rings and filter wool. The top basket has Fluval Activated carbon and sponge pad.
    Perlon? = Filter wool.

I tied a yellow sponge at the water intake pipe inorder to reduce the filter current coz its a strong filter compared to the aquarium volume. My shrimps seem to be fine coz they've had this filter for some time. I've seem everytime I clean this filter (once in 2 months) the water collected at the bottom of the filter is dark with mud particles. The filter wool and ceramic rings are rather brown rather than black. The aquarium is quite clear no particles flying around so the filter works efficiently. I checked all the parameters once a week and everything seems to be fine.
    The fire and sakura shrimps seem quite happy they are multiplying in numbers, berried females and new babies which grow well. Often I find the Bamboo shrimp sitting on Java Fern or driftwood, feeding himself in front of the filter outlet.
    So I'll start cleaning the filter once a month.

6. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

I have fish with my shrimp in a 75cm tank I use an Eheim Pro11 and it is completely washed every month.

This keeps the filter clean and running at its best.

Keith:):)