1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Choosing Shrimp for a Beginner

Discussion in 'Shrimp and Invertz' started by Beagle, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Beagle

Beagle Aspiring Aquascaper

Hey everyone,

So I'm working on getting my first aquascape set up, and although it's still a little while away from being inhabitant safe (I just flooded it last week), I'm starting to look at what I wanted to put in it!

I've always loved the look of shrimp, and since my tank is only about 6 gallons, they seem like a good fit. From what I've researched so far, it sounds like the Neocardina species are the hardiest/best suited for someone who hasn't had shrimp before (that would be me included ;)). My real question is, are there any color variations that people would/wouldn't suggest, especially for a beginner? I've been using ShrimpUSA's website for some guidance, as well as an old thread on here and it sounds like the 'Fire Red' or 'Sakuras' might have the best coloring, but I want to see what other people have to say especially if they've worked with them in person (seems like pictures can always be misleading). The Neon Yellows look great (in photos...), and so do the Blue Dreams/Blue Rili's, but again I'm not sure how bright they'll be in person.

I would love to end up with some of the Crystal varieties in the end, but I'm not sure that I can mix them with the Neocardina species (I know that not all of them can be mixed together, but I'm still fuzzy on the rules there) so I'm trying to keep that in mind as I choose. Sounds like they're a bit more challenging to keep as well so I'll wait till I know I can handle a more hardy species first. :)

Thanks for any input! :D

2. Beagle

Never mind about that last question... found an awesome comparability chart for shrimp on here so I can look that part up myself! :p Man I love this website!

ShadowMac and greenfinger 2 like this.
  3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Beagle
    There is a massive difference between compatibility and your question
    I have several species in my 140lt 750cm tank

The easiest and the hardiest are the simple "Red Cherry Shrimp"

http://www.theshrimpfarm.com/

That is a wonderful site to safe and reliable information from.

Once you have mastered the Reds then you can advance to the other species/varieties remembering the cost can get extremely high for good coloured breeders.

Keith:):)

4. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Beagle,

www.theshrimpfarm.com sells a great bunch of high grade red cherry shrimp. They are very nicely colored and I chose them for my 90 cm tank instead of going to full fire red route. It can be hard to find some at a good price and hobbyists tend to sell their culls which don't have the best coloring. The price and quantity is hard to beat. One order of 20 grade AA RCS would be perfect.

5. Beagle

Keith and Shawn,

Thank you for both of your inputs. I'm glad to hear that you both have high opinions of theshrimpfarm.com. They seem like a pretty affordable and a bit more reliable way to get shrimp in the US compared to just going pot luck over aquabid. I've also never had anything live shipped to me before, so I was worried about making sure I found someone who knew what they were doing, at least on their end! :p

It will still be a while before I commit to ordering them since I want to make sure the tank is well cycled for them, and I'm still waiting on my moss to arrive. I'm thinking I'll start out with just 10? With how small my tank is 20 sounds like so many (but then again, what do I know)!!! I'm also worried I'll end up killing them all off since I'm still figuring these things out. o_O Fingers crossed that that never happens though!!!

Also, would you guys recommend any particular diet for the RCS? From what I've researched, they're omnivores that can live off most anything (your average tropical fish flakes, blanched veggies, algae, etc.). I saw on theshrimpfarm.com (awesome website btw) that they have a Fluval brand shrimp pelleted diet--would that be a decent option for a shrimp-only tank?

Thanks again for all the help! :)

keithgh likes this.
  6. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Beagle

I feed my shrimp of a mix of shrimp pellets, there is one small round disk type I feed every day and 5 others that I continually rotate.

I also have Aust Threadfin Rainbows one of the very few compatible fish and their food is like powder and I know the Shrimps eat that, they also love lettuce.

Make sure the tank is fully established/well planted first and be prepared to do a 30-40% prepared water change once a week, also have a cover over your filter inlet I use a simple filter sponge.

You will have to get your water supply checked as it might have to be adjusted first.

Keith:):)

7. Beagle

Keith,

Thanks for your help. I'll keep in mind having some variety in their diet whenever I actually end up getting some. ;) It will be a while before my tank will be anything close to well planted... I'll have to work on a filter inlet cover. Good thing I've got time!

Also, what all do you think I will need to check in my water supply? I found that my pH is around 6.8-7.5 here, is there more I should be taking into account for the shrimp? Maybe gh and kh? Looks like I'll have to call someone to figure that one out! :p

8. Beagle

Nevermind! I found some extra info! :D Looks like my total hardness (gh) is around 160 ppm?

Here's the link where I'm pulling this info from;
    http://www.cityofames.org/index.aspx?page=406

I'm not really sure how to translate this info into gh and kh, but it looks like similar info that Shawn has posted in a previous thread with regards to his water quality so I think I'm at least headed in the right direction. :ROFLMAO:

9. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't be concerned about your water supply. It is nice to see if you need to supplement Ca or Mg for plants by adding a GH booster at water change or if your water supplies enough. RCS are hardy, heck sometimes near impossible to kill if you have an established population. 10 is a good start...not sure why I said 20. They will breed. I have no idea how many I have in my tank. Adding a few amanos would be cool too. They are good cleaners and are compatible.