1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Cherry Shrimp Poisoning HELP?

Discussion in 'Shrimp and Invertz' started by speedingorange, Sep 29, 2010.

1. speedingorange

speedingorange New Member

Thanks for all your help with this.

I dont think im quite out the woods yet as the corys are far from normal behaviour.

But I guess I will find out over the next couple of days.

When do you think I should try a shrimp back in there?

The plants are going crazy atm. No fets and NO co2. hairgrass shoots everywhere.

Reason I was thinking of the MTS is purely to turn over the top layer of substrate. But thinking about it they may become a little more of a nuisance. We will see I guess. Could keep the assassin just to control numbers a bit.

All the planaria are now dead. All the hydra are dead.

I am going to do a 50% water change tomorrow to remove any of the Panacur that is still floating about and dilute it down.

I wonder if then i should test a shrimp?

Sponsored link:

2. speedingorange

Think I may have gotten to the bottom of why the pygmys are not too happy / scouring the tank for food. After reading more and more about them and looking at pictures I have noticed their barbels are almost non existent compared to what they should be.. I am wondering if my substrate although small is still to course for them and is wearing them off? hence they don't want to forage for food?

3. speedingorange

and now I notice... that one of my corys fins is nearly missing.

Could the treatments have stripped its slime coat? made it susceptible to fin rot? a few of them look a little like this. This I guess would explain them being lethargic.

Really cannot believe my luck.

I think something that came into the tank had a whole host of every life form on it. I have even spotted freshwater limpets in the tank!

So that's Cyclops, Hydra*, Planaria*, nematodes, freshwater lympets, 3 types of snail, and who knows what else that has come in at some point. (* = Wiped out by panacur)

Its like an uninvited zue!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8axeyyRLw0"]YouTube - Pygmy corydoras[/ame]

http://speedingorange.com/media/tank/photo.JPG

Please excuse poor image quality was taken on my phone.

What do I do now!?

4. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

Indeed, Corys or any other bottom feeders prefer a sand or small rounded substrate. It's not the size thats too important but how coarse the substrate is. Also the substrate condition too *see next answer below

The opposite. More likely they had some sort of finrot or other disease and the fins were dying. the Formaldehyde alters these dead cell into a non organic substance. That is it's beauty. Things like velvet or fungus feed off the decaying matter, wounds etc and Formaldehyde changes these decaying cells and removes the source of food for the parasite/fungus.

Cory breeders will dose it weekly/fortnighlyt etc to remove anything like this.

The problem with them will have been related to a prior weakness. Maybe they got sick from the substrate and then they are easier targets for disease and parasites.

If the substrate was the problem it may well be that their barbels being in the substrate for large amounts of time became decayed and rather than being worn off they have been gradually 'eaten' off.

The formaldehyde should have helped with quality issues and also will 'stop the rot' with the critters. The Panacur has finished off the parasites. The Corys fins and barbels will grow back if the conditions are now improved.

Freshwater limpet snails are not a problem. they will disappear over time.

AC

5. speedingorange

OK I will keep my eyes peeled, I did however spot one of them scratching again this morning no white spots mind. :(

I am not sure that my substrate may be a bit abrasive too. I bought it as " smooth black sand" but when it arrived it is fairly jagged. Could be a problem.

I can not wait to get to the bottom of this.

6. speedingorange

Well the corydora are a little happier tonight all seems to be improving.

Even spotted some baby shrimp in the quaranteen tank.

However.

Tried another shrimp in the main tank tonight, and although it seemed a bit settled in the tank it was still not acting right. it didnt go into food searching mode straight away like they normally do. It just went a little mad and started going round the tank.

Should i just bite the bullet and change the substrate? its the last thing on the list?

7. speedingorange

well i think i may have finally got to the end of all this!

The fish are ALL really active happy fouraging.

and I have had a shrimp back in the tank now for about 5 hours and all it has been doing is looking for food. :D which I count as normal behaviour.

Only thing left to fix is one corydoa who has no fins? and looks a little rough. I have just ordered some API melafix as i have been informed its fairly Gentle and good for fixing fins and tissue.

Cant wait to start concentrating on getting the plants going right again.

I think the whole thing may have been caused by a number of things.

First upset may have been caused by me digging in the substrate, upsetting my bogwood and releasing gasses. Which inturn upset the shrimp. Possibly spiked some ammonia.
    Followed by hydra settling in etc.

Glad its all over now. Will certainly be more carefull when doing any planting.

8. Gill

Gill New Member

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Someone else has had this happen.
    The same thing happened to me with all my Shrimp.
    Plants Arrived and In mY rush to add them did not rinse them very well.
    Added to tank and within Minutes all the Shrimp started to dance and spasm all over the tank.
    Did a Big Water change and then Tried to rescue as many of the Shrimp as Possible.
    I lost 95% of my Cherries/Blue Tiger, Red tigers, Orange, Snowball and All My Sulawesi Cardinal Shrimp.
    Suprisingly though my Amano Survived the ordeal and has bounced back to full health ( it did turn pink and stayed that way untill it molted again).
    Again It was the Cabomba that caused the worst of it. It then Decided to melt and caused even more damage. Had to Tear the tank down and start again.
    The Plants had come from Malaysia and had been Heavily Dosed with Copper to treat for pest snails and hitchikers. All the Plants arrived in those Flat bags.

Never again, Will always leave any ebay purchased Plants in one of the outdoor sinks with the tap on for a few days.

9. speedingorange

Glad i am not the only one it happened to. Was the initial of the place you got the plants form T.L.T.P? by any chance. Not to mention full names,

10. Gill

Gill New Member

Yeah it was, So Not there Fault though. I had not noticed the change in Dosing of plants in the Listing, for plants from malaysia.
    I never Thought to look at the bottom of the listing for any changes, as had ordered directly from them and the farms they use in malaysia when ordering over 1000 bunches of plants and never had any probs with them. So it never occured to me to rinse more than normal. It was only afterwards that I went back to check the listing for anything that i may have missed and saw in Big red lettering the notice about Heavier use of Pesticides and Copper.

11. speedingorange

oh well live and learn :)

All my plants now spend at least 3 days in a tank outside with the hose washing over them.

Not that i need anymore plants now :) or at least for a while, just going to let everything grow in now :)

12. jennifer_92078

jennifer_92078 New Member

I apparently have Hydra AND Planaria in my 10g planted shrimp tank. I have a few batches of new babies so taking the shrimp out will be almost impossible without losing a bunch of them. How can I treat my tank safely?

I have Cherry shrimp and a couple Otocinclus in the tank.

13. speedingorange

I Used a dog de worming chemical, known as panacur. I am not sure what the US equivalent is though sorry.

Safe with the shrimp and really really effective against the hydra and planaria.