1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Cherry Shrimp Dying off - HELP!!

Discussion in 'Shrimp and Invertz' started by janey95, Jun 22, 2011.

1. janey95

janey95 New Member

Hi Guys,
    I would really appreciate any advice you can give me as I am totally stumpted as to why my previously healthy shrimp are now slowly dying off since being moved into my new tank...
    I just want to start off by saying that even though its a 'new' tank, it was completely cycled before I even thought about adding the shrimp (I've made that mistake before!)

They were moved from my old 20 ltr into a 25 ltr about 3 weeks ago. In my old tank they were really happy, motoring around all the time and constantly grazing. When they were moved, they hid immediately and I hardly see them now. When I do spot one they dont seem to be doing much at all, and I'm finding around 1 dead one every 3 - 4 days. The only difference I can think of is the new tank is much more heavily planted. Are there any plants that are harmful to shrimp?....

I've got 3 guppies and 1 small platy in there also (theywere in the old tank also) and they are doing just fine. I've tested for ammonia, heavy metals, nitrites/nitrates just in case there has been some kind of spike, but its all zero. I do a 10% weekly water change religiously. There doesnt seem to be any difference in the water from the old tank (ph is ever so slightly lower, from 7.2 old to 6.8 new)

The only other thing I've noticed is the platy seems much more interested in picking bits on the substrate, and I've seen him have a little bit of a go at some of the shrimp when they do come out. Could he be stressing them so badly that they die? I'm just wondering as I have 3 pregnant females in a breeder net hooked to the top of the tank and they do seem to be alot more active and chilled out...

Any help would be great as I hate seeing my little mates kick the bucket :((

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

sorry to hear about your losses. despite your tests the first thing I would be thinking of would be ammonia.

is the substrate new? what kind of substrate? aquasoil can create spikes of ammonia in the beginning.

Shrimp do tend to hide with fish around, especially if a fish has a tendency to pick on them. That could be part of it.I see much more of my shrimp after removing my SAE's.

Maybe to eliminate the possibility of water issues you could do daily or every other day water changes until things improve.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Best of luck to you.

3. janey95

janey95 New Member

Thanks for your reply ShadowMac - The first thing I thought of was ammonia, but I did a test just yesterday evening and its definitely at zero.

Yes the substrate is new, its not aquasoil just well-rinsed normal aquarium gravel.

I will try daily changes as suggested and see if that improves the situation. Its just so frustrating as I thought I did everything right this time and I made this tank really shrimp-friendly. Thought they would have a whale of a time. Obviously not.... sniff..

4. ShadowMac

how old is your test kit? some of the reagents can expire.

5. janey95

janey95 New Member

The ammonia and the test strips are almost brand new. I've just done about a 30% water change and also taken the platy out so I will see if they perk up any over the next few days. I'm just wondering if maybe the plants are sucking up all the oxygen too quickly? I dont actually have a test kit for that...

6. bhim

bhim New Member

since it is a planted tank , i think you may be using some fertilizer. if you are using any fertilizer, give me some details of it. may be it helps to solve the problem.

7. janey95

janey95 New Member

Hi bhim, I'm not using any kind of fertilizer at all..

8. ShadowMac

I would doubt the plants are using too much O2, but if you are concerned about it some surface agitation or an airstone wouldn't hurt.

It is a myth that shrimp are sensitive to nitrates, especially those from our fertilizer dosing. Copper yes, but my trace mix has some Cu in it and no problems. It is a very small amount.

Regarding nitrates, the shrimp are sensitive to the nitrites which are converted to nitrates, so some make the assumption it is the nitrates that come accross in tests when it is actually the nitrite levels.

I think where you are at now sounds good. Give it a bit and see if things improve. The good news is red cherry shrimp are prolific and quite hardy. Once you get over this bump you should be getting a good population back in no time.

9. frank p

frank p New Member

I had this happen also. I bought a Kh and Gh testing kit and realized that both KH and GH levels were extremely low. The low Kh level (2 as measured by my test kit) was causing my small tank (5 gallons) to make wide pH swings at night when my plants were dormant. I would find one or two dead shrimp every few days. I corrected it by adding pH buffering. My Amanos and fish didn't show any signs of stress and my other water parameters were fine. My other tanks are filled by the same water source did not show the same low KH and GH levels. Obviously this was being caused by the contents of the tank. My other tank inhabitants including Amanos and Cardinal Tetras were showing no signs of stress. It took two weeks and about 15 dead shrimp before I figured it out.... not fun for the shrimp...

Be sure to add the appropriate buffers for your tank (some buffering agents are not appropriate for planted tanks). Algae blooms and a snail population explosion which appeared at first to be unrelated were probably also signs that the pH swings were killing the beneficial bacteria that naturally kept water parameters in check.

I am also going to add a Wonder Shell to add the appropriate minerals back into the water and raise the overall GH level.

I know this post is old but I hope someone else who has the same problem benefits from the experience.

10. Natural designs

Natural designs New Member

I did actually thanks. I bought cheap ghost shrimp as a cleanup crew in a planted tank, I had the same problem. Nothing was showing up in any of my tests. thanks for the advice!