1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Cheating in Aquascaping Contests

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by John N., Oct 14, 2010.

1. Steven Chong

Steven Chong Aspiring Aquascaper

Meh, the layout without the photo edits actually looks better. :p Also I don't think the edited in Anubias and HM look that "genuine" in the photo. Then again, I have no idea how I would have reacted to the photo if you hadn't explicitly told me there were manipulations. :/

Not all the photos in the contest are of super clear quality, and with lower grade photos, I guess it is easier to make add-ins look more "natural" in the photo. hmm . . .

I still don't think this is too much of an issue to worry about overall though.

Sponsored link:

2. J House

J House Moderator Staff Member

Althought not cheating a few of the higher ranked tanks surprised me since they weren't original pieces of work. I'm not going to name them, but a few I have seen posted on the various forums were self admittingly copied or 'inspired' from previous scapes and still ranked high based on Grading Guidelines:

ARTISTIC IMPRESSION POINT(Maximum 100 points)
    Evaluate the beauty and sophistication as a piece of art.

Creativity (Maximum 20 points)
    The overall completeness of the layout and its originality are evaluated.
    The use of house plants or emerged plants, which hardly survive under water, becomes a subject of point-deduction.

So does this say that if the work isn't original your only losing points within Creativity (20 pts) and not Artistic Impression (100 pts)

3. MonoBarrientos

MonoBarrientos New Member

read the link
    Saludos!

4. MonoBarrientos

MonoBarrientos New Member

so, examples exists.

BUT, as J. House says, is a minority....and, as Shadow says, that cases are really considered cheat if get caught, jaj

Saludos

5. Steven Chong

Steven Chong Aspiring Aquascaper

Your link just goes to a general thread about the top 27 . . . I'm not going to read through a whole thread just to see if there might be an example. When you point things out to people, please be more specific like quoting/linking the specific post.

6. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

I think monobarrientos is referring to the 'mirrored scape that got 7th this year compare to the previous year where it was much lower.

The link below has more shots of the manipulation of the one I mentioned and linked to earlier. this is the scape from 2008 where it was 'allegedly' (the owner has denied it) entered twice just with different fish positions and different plants/positions (and different tank owners :) )

Post #16 has the pictures:
    International Aquatic Plants Layout Contest 2008 - Page 2 - Aquascaping - Aquatic Plant Central

AC