1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Celestial Pearl Danio

Discussion in 'Fish' started by Mars, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Mars

Mars New Member

Is here someone who has them? They are like new big thing in our hobby...
    Are they swimming in shoal? What do they eat?

2. landstrykeren

landstrykeren New Member

They were, not much noise about them nowdays. But you should know that they can be very shy.

3. echofish

echofish New Member

I am correct to think that they need a low ph? around 5.5? The local fish store told me that but i don't know for sure.

4. M1MATT2

M1MATT2 New Member

i don't think they need a low ph

5. KristinM85

KristinM85 New Member

I've read that they prefer a more alkaline pH, but I keep mine in a pH of around 6.8 and they thrive and have actually bred in the tank once (1 fry made it a little while). Mine are a bit shy (and I have 8 of them). I'm hoping that atleast double their numbers will make them come out of the plants more.

Mine were tank raised and eat various types of pellets and some flakes. They like stuff that sinks.

6. mitrandirPL

mitrandirPL New Member

I think that the common name is galaxy rasbora ;)
    as far as i know they swim in schols, and as somebody has mentioned before they're pretty delicate. they're also the perfect fish to keep with shrimp ;)

7. KristinM85

KristinM85 New Member

They were first labeled as Galaxy Rasboras, but were reclassified into the Danio family and now the common name is Celestial Pearl Danios. :) People still call them rasboras, but it isn't correct anymore. :D

8. Al G. Begone

Al G. Begone New Member

From what I have read on them (I don't have any) they should be fine in 6.5 to 7.5 as long as the range you acclimate them to is stable.

9. darkmindzz

darkmindzz New Member

how small are they.. why were they the new big thing in the industry.. what made them so special .

10. echofish

echofish New Member

They have been around for a couple years (atleast) they are just a cool looking fish!
    you can look here "The Celestial Pearl Danio Forum" (for one) And make up your own mind. I think their cool looking. I have seen them but never have owned them.

11. Garhan

Garhan New Member

I have 4 of these and I keep them in a 10 gallon tank with some Cherry Shrimp. I was going to spawn them as they are easily breed with water changes and a variance of a 5-8 degree lowering of temperature. The water I keep them in has a 7.2 ph and a 6 degree hardness. They eat anything small I throw into the tank from brine shrimp, flake, grindal worms, etc..

I will try to take a photo and post it for you.

12. Garhan

Garhan New Member

13. Raven

Raven New Member

I have bought 5 of them (1m+4f) last November and they spawned after just 15 days. Since then I managed to raise many babies and some of them (3-4 months old) spawned for the 1st time some days before and now I have a 2nd generation of fry swimming with te parents. Mine dont eat their fry but they do eat their eggs.
    I keep the adults In 79G and the fry in a 20G tank
    with PH 7.4 , Gh 8 and Kh 5 and they do fine.
    They do not shoal. Instead they move together as small groups.
    Very attractive little fish. I recommend them !
    Some photos of adult and fry.:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Superman

Superman New Member

I had some CPDs in a 180 litre tank, I picked them knowing that they liked to be in among the plants but didn't realise I would hardly see them. Even if they were in the open, any movement in the room they'd shoot off and hide.

I had a big group of at least 24 and only saw them when I fed them. I saw them spawn regularly through the plants but never saw any fry.

Whilst they are beautiful fish, I like to see my fish so wouldn't get them again in the future.

15. Eona

Eona New Member

Hi,

my 4 live with Boraras maculatus and Micropoecilia minima, they became less shy when there are other fish which are not shy, but it doesn´t works each time. I see my every day, but sometimes when I go to fast to the tank they are hiding in the plants for few minutes.
    They need very small food and a PH about 7-7,5 and a hardness about 6-9.
    Easy, little jewels. Breeting them is also not very difficult, but they eat their offspring and eggs, so you have to take them out of their tank or put in lots of moss and swimming plants.

LG, Pia