1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

carpet plants without co2

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by spoos, May 21, 2012.

1. spoos

spoos New Member

i'm looking for a carpet plant or moss that doesn't require co2, right now i have Hemianthus callitrichoides for my iwagumi scape but without co2 and with only two t8 lights i'm obviously not getting the results

i'm on a very tight budget so i'm not able two switch lighting (i have a closed top that only fits T8) or buy a co2 setup, that's why i want to know if it is in any way possible to get a nice carpet going with any sort of plant or moss type

2. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Hairgrass would do the trick but you'd still need co2 in some kind even if it was just excel or similar other than that, mosses, christmas being the best bet in terms of appearance but you'll be in it for the long haul!

3. abhradip1986

abhradip1986 Aspiring Aquascaper

A carbon source would be a welcome item by all your plants anyday. Try getting hands on Flourish excel/easy carbo etc as rightfully pointed by Garuf. With regards to carpet plant apart from chrtismas moss you can definitely try Marsilae Histura it's a complete low-tech carpet plant, I tried it with a friend of mine, gave great results but yes it's a slow grower. As your lights are higher than the nutrient injection, I would suggest that get some frogbits to float on top this will reduce the lights going down and both moss+histura does not require much of light to grow. Hope this helps.

John N. likes this.
  4. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

How big is your tank? I mean if you have big tank like 4ft (120cm) then you can try hairgrass, E. tennelus, Elatine triandra and Staurogyne sp. If your tank is small, you might want to try marsilea hirsuta.

5. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Hemianthus callitrichoides can grow in lower light conditions. Give it some excel and it will grow in you setup. Slowly, but surely.

I have seen some great low tech layouts with nice HC foregrounds.

-John N.

6. spoos

spoos New Member

to awnser some of you're questions

right now i am using a carbo product from the brand easylife, it's called easy carbo in combination with aquatic natures plant activator, the substrate i have in my tank is from jbl, the tank is 112 liters, the light is on 10 hours a day and the water temp. is set at 26 degrees celcius

when i just planted the tank the hemianthus was very bright green, but after a couple of weeks it started to look a little more yellow and the bright green color of the plants never came back, don't get me wrong, the plants aren't dying but i want them to be in the best possible shape i can get them

i hope to get a little more advice after this, it is my first tank so the only information i can get is online because most specialized aquarium stores in my region don't know much about aqauscaping or planted tanks

thanks for youre awnsers so far, they have been helpfull

7. abhradip1986

abhradip1986 Aspiring Aquascaper

yellow means potassium deficiency if i'm not wrong, dose more of KNO3 or the macro nutrient supplement that you have.