1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Can you use Excel for real grass?

Discussion in 'The Aqua Lounge' started by CatfishSoupFTW, May 14, 2012.

1. CatfishSoupFTW

CatfishSoupFTW Aspiring Aquascaper

just a really odd question.. I decided to plant some grass seeds in a little pot at its been growing real fast with some good soil, water, and sunlight... but can you add liquid carbon to it? as in, a spray bottle, water, and excel?

2. hamza

hamza Aspiring Aquascaper

I think it'll simply burn it away, if too concentrated, otherwise it wont affect it in anyway. Its pointless, as our atmosphere contains more than enough carbon supply for the lawn grass to grow.

Second, the substrate in pots cultures nitrifying bacteria just as the substrate/filter media in aquarium. Glut can easily kill it all.

CatfishSoupFTW likes this.
  3. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Why would you want to? Atmospheric co2 is ample for plant growth without adding more. Really I'm just repeating hamza, I don't think it has any benefit and potentially could make your life harder.

4. CatfishSoupFTW

just a random question really with some curiousity . figured there would be enough co2 in the atmosphere. thanks for the fast replies though !

5. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Very interesting question. I figured I asked Seachem Support and here's what they had to say:

What do you guys think?

-John N.

6. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I know there is a lot of legal reasons Excel is not classified as an algaecide that have to do with regulations of such things. I think Hamza covered it, terrestrial plants do not have troubles accessing CO2 from the air and would not need an alternate carbon source. The fert line though couldn't hurt terrestrial plants. There is the same basic stuff in osmocote and miracle grow. I try to use my aquarium water to water the flower garden and house plants when I do water changes.

7. CatfishSoupFTW

I as well, use my water change water to the garden. a lot more sufficient then letting it go down the drain. As for you John, much thanks on going further with the question. impressed. Interesting how they have tried it themselves as well. Though the whole FDA shenanigans makes sense. Im sure its a whole other ballpark for that conversion. Now ShadowMac mentions the fert line could potentially do something. Im curious though if it would be more effective than grass ferts. You would have to mix it with water obviously, but still. Maybe not scientifically proven that aquatic chemicals may be good for non aquatic plants, but I do have a feeling there is probably something useful.

8. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Plants need the same things regardless of form, those being macros and n p and k, it doesn't matter what form this was intended for the ions will always be the same. The thing is that glutahydrate works because it is able to be used by the leaves as the carbon ion is bioavailable, i'm not sure that it would be in a non-aquatic environment.

9. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

it will kill your plants unless you dilute it. It is just like how you do algae spot treatment using excel. Do remember that glutahydrate is disinfectant in high concentration.

10. CatfishSoupFTW

im uneducated amongst some of these terms you guys are using. i googled search but nothing sshowed up. any threads or any information you may give me on what glutahydrate is?

11. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

I was cut and paste from Garuf reply, it should be Glutaraldehyde :p

12. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

I have heard spraying terrestrial plants with sparkling water might improve their growth, but never tested and to be honest can't tell if it makes any sense.
    However, the idea and placebo effect is pretty cool, so why not give it a try :)

13. abhradip1986

abhradip1986 Aspiring Aquascaper

Okay, glutaraldehyde is a complex carbon based organic compound has similar atomic structure like a benzene ring, the primary use of it is in medical field where the tools are sterilized using a 2% solution of it. In high concentration it's potentially lethal not only to plants but our own skin alike due to it's super toxic nature. Please be advised never to smell any of the commercially available carbon supplements/raw glut as it would result in sudden death of cells in the mucus membrane and thoracic areas. The property of this chemical is it disintegrates quite rapidly in presence of light, hence it finds it's use as a simple supplement in aquaria, as the carbon is released as and when the light is switched on. So to dose in aquarium I would recommend atleast 10 mins before the lights are powered upso that it spreads evenly in the tank and then starts to disintegrate. For terrestrial usage mist the plants atleast before the sun comes up ideally should have the same effect. Hope this helps.

14. CatfishSoupFTW

so if glutaraldehyde something common aquascapers use? Is it more of a complex carbon then those found in a usual pressurized co2 set up? If its so risky is it worth using, and is it something easily found in an lfs? Thanks for the detailed response. Clears it up for me.

EDIT: did a wiki search. it is used as a plant fert but not really out there in the market because its not FDA approved.

15. abhradip1986

abhradip1986 Aspiring Aquascaper

Pressurised CO2 in cylinders is nothing but gaseous Co2 pressurised into liquid it's nothing more and yes it's more complex, the chemical formula is OHC(CH2)3CHO which is more complex than CO2. It's not available readily with LFS as it in it's raw form is banned atleast for commercial sell purpose, I arrange mine from a doctor friend of mine, hence it's sold commercially as fert supplements.

16. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

You should be cautious if you work with the more commercial concentrated solutions like Cydex. Well ventilated areas and preferably a fume hood to ensure you do not inhale the fumes. Diluting it to the proper concentration is a cheaper way to get to Seachem Excel, but to me the risks are not worth saving a few bucks.

17. CatfishSoupFTW

agreed I rather not start risking me, my fauna and my plants for the sake of. Still valuable information to learn though.