1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Can anyone identify this algae?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by craig20102010, Mar 4, 2015.

1. craig20102010

craig20102010 Aspiring Aquascaper

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see its on most leaves. It will wipe off if you rub hard enough.

Lighting is two pl 18watt bulbs
    6400k white and the tropical colour not sure of the colour rating.

Pressurised co2 at 1bps green drop checker

45litre tank

Nitrates are around 40ppm
    Phosphates around 5ppm
    Ammonia 0ppm
    Nitrite 0ppm

Dosing liquid ei dosing 3x micro 3x Macro per week.

My macro now only consists of potassium sulphate and magnesium sulphate as I feel nitrates and phosphates are a little high?

Only started doing this for the past 5 days previous to that I was dosing extra nitrates and phosphates. Only at the recommended doses of 10ppm and 2ppm.

Any idea what the cause is or what the best plan of action is?

Increase co2 maybe?

Iv increased my water changes to 50% a week from 20% to lower nitrates and phosphates a bit. Not sure if I should wait it out another week and see how it gets on but iv had this algae a while now. Months, but only recently in the last month managed to get my dosing more regular and on time.

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

You should consider upping your CO2. I like my drop checkers on the yellower side of green...even yellow if fish don't show any stress. Stems maybe showing a little stunting in the tips.

I can't name specifically the algae, but it looks like you have a few different plaque algaes. Generally the approaches are the same for most algae infestations. Improve CO2, clean tank, filter, consider reducing light intensity.

3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

4. craig20102010

Thanks iv looked at that site before and I can never seem to pin point what algae it is when I look at it.

It seems to be green spot algae which would suggest low phosphates but there at 5 so I'm not going to add more. Since iv lowered nitrates a bit it's better for clarity but my nitrates are still pretty high.

I'm adding a fair amount of potassium each dose now. Around 7ppm every other day.

Iv increased my co2 so the drop checker ends up being yellowish at the end of the day so maybe I should give that a week and see how my plants respond.

5. keithgh

Craig

I have only every had Low tech tanks.

Filtration what are you using, medium used and, when and how was it cleaned.

Water changes is the water treated first?

Just a suggestion do two 30-40% water changes per week.

Most of the new leaves look very clean and healthy, I tend to be a bit drastic sometimes I would either remove all the stem plants or give them a big trim, other plants cut off the damaged leaves.

By doing this you will let the light penetrate deeper into the tank, regenerate new clean growth, plus you should have a greater water movement.

Weather any or all of the above help I do not know but at the moment not much is happening any way.

Keith:):)

6. craig20102010

Sounds like a good idea to me keith.

I'll do another water change today before lights on and give all the plants a good trim well at least all the damaged ones.

There's that many leaves that are covered in this thick black algae that I'd have hardly any plant left lol!

The plants grow healthy leaves but they then slowly get covered in that black algae. Looks like a bad case of green spot.

Is there any other nutrient that prevents the uptake of phosphates? Like potassium?

I'm using a ehiem ecco pro 200 external filter for this tank. All the standard medium.

I'll give that a good clean as well today with the water change.

keithgh likes this.
  7. keithgh

You are using a good quality filter how often do you clean it ?

With the badly effected plants if they cannot be trimmed pull them out and replace them when the tank is looking healthy again.

My feeding program is Seachem liquid ferts daily and fert tabs every three months.

Its like every Aquarium tank problem you must find the cause before you can fix it.

8. craig20102010

I usually clean it about once a month.

I cleaned it today and to be fair it was pretty dirty inside. It's a lot better now. This I'm sure will help. Although flow hasn't improved so it wasn't totally clogged.

Everythings been trimmed right down to the floor more or less to get rid of majority of the infected leaves. I'm hoping it'll spring back within a week.

Phosphates are now at a 2ppm after today's water change this morning at 7.30 so it's been nearly 12hrs and the phosphates are still lower.

I'm still going to only add potassium and magnesium to the tank every other day along with micro ferts. I'll do another test for phosphates tomorrow and if it's dropped below 1ppm I'll adjust my mix to add 1ppm every other day.

Co2 is now pumping out enough to make the drop checker turn yellow just before it turns off.

The problem I have with my aquarium is I never find what the problem is I just seem to chase different issues around in circles. It's so hard to pin point it.

9. keithgh

Craig

If there is no sign of improvement in the next 2-3 weeks stop all the Co2 and any thing involved with it do several big water changes and see what happens.

As a wild card get a full water test done on your water supply.

While not using any Co2 "Research" until you understand the Co2 method backwards.

In the meantime see if you can get someone to come and have a look at your tank then get the help in resetting the Co2 up.

I know this sounds very drastic but it looks like you are trying to fix something but you don't know what or how to fix the problem.

10. sushant

sushant Aspiring Aquascaper

Looks like diatonic, can be because of high level silicate in water.

11. craig20102010

How do you lower silcates and how do you even test for silicate?

I totally understand the co2 it's just it doesn't seem to be making any difference in my tank and all I can put that down too is I have enough. Iv used several methods for detecting co2 levels and all point to over 30ppm.

I wish there was someone local to have a look and advise what I need to do. it would be amazing lol.

I'll see how this next two weeks go and see what the results are. My hc has taken hold now and is growing for the first time since owning a tank. I wouldn't say it was spreading particularly fast though.

12. keithgh

13. ShadowMac

Your tank is too mature for diatoms.

High silicates can contribute to diatom outbreaks in the initial phases. This isn't diatoms. This is a related to brown brush algae and the name escapes me. It is very stubborn.

"I have enough CO2" Famous last words. ;) I think the increase will help and should be given some time.

I can completely relate to wanting someone local to swing by and help out. I wished for that when I started as well. The internet can only get you so far. The best I can offer is that by sticking it out and having failures, you will eventually find successes.

keithgh likes this.
  14. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Craig, As Shawn said, Lack of Co2.. I would add to that? A lack of water flow around the plants:(

Trim back your affected stem plants to just above the substrate. Then Cutting off the bad bits and replanting the healthy top growth leaving 1"1-1/2" of stem and replant this in between the others old cut back stems.

With the other plants trim the algae looking leaves off. New growth should appear from the stem or side shoots will grow. Cut back the old. Then replant the young :)

ShadowMac and keithgh like this.
  15. ShadowMac

I agree with Roy, improved water flow will also help.

16. craig20102010

Thank you all for your help. Iv done what youve said to the tank now.

Iv cut back all the plants more less down to the roots with little stems showing with a few leaves.. Iv increased the co2 in the tank slightly to try improve that. Also i may invest in a spray bar and try point the water towards the substrate more so i get a better flow over all of the plants.

First i will see how the increased Co2 and the cut back works out.

Thanks again. Ill keep you updated in a couple of weeks of how its went

greenfinger 2 and keithgh like this.
  17. ShadowMac

I like to have the water move horizontally across the surface, run down the opposite side and back across the bottom. You need adequate flow strength to achieve this. It pushes CO2 bubbles downward when atomizer/diffuser is located on the side across from the outlet and picks up detritus from the bottom moving it towards the intake.

keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.
  18. craig20102010

so this is an update on the tank after applying them changes.

So i got new growth but pretty slow still and alot of the new leaves seem clean but i can see that on the older leaves this algae still starting to appear again. :mad:.

The sides of the glass closest the bulbs tubes was covered in green dust algae and little brown 5mm dots of brown algae. This was suggesting too much light to me? so iv cut the lighting back to 6 hours now. The lights come on at 11:00 and go out at 17:00 now.

Iv also increased the Co2 again so ill be pumping in around 2 bubbles a second according to my bubble counter. Ill be here for the next 3 days so ill be able to monitor Co2 to make sure that its not too high.

iv also re-positioned the atomizer to under the outlet for the pump in the hope it make help mix the fine mist up a little better.

ill see how this looks in the next week or two and see where i can go from there.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015