1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

CalmSeasQuest's Big Blue Wall

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquascapes' started by CalmSeasQuest, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Moderator Staff Member

Fantastically bonkers...the culmination of a wealth of experience and endeavour. I can't wait to see this set up and running...

keithgh and ShadowMac like this.

Sponsored link:

2. CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest Aspiring Aquascaper

Thank you all for the very kind comments. I'm really excited about the upcoming rock-work. It's an opportunity (and challenge) to blend the mechanical requirements specific to saltwater/reef (water flow, planning for coral placement, suitable environment for variable needs of livestock...) with the phenomenal aesthetic possibilities of freshwater/planted. Few marine aquarists devote as much to time to the design of the "hardscape" (a freshwater term, in marine it's referred to as "Aquascaping") as goes into a typical planted build. I'm hopeful I can do both disciplines justice.

A few updates...

I think I might need to change my plans for Ca and Alk supplementation on the grow-out tank. It's a 100 gallon stock tank, holding ~70 gallons. It's currently stocked with about 100 pieces including a few larger SPS colonies and a very large clam with another 70 frags on the way. Present CA and Alk demand is requiring ~250ml/Day of 2-part. At this rate, I'm going through 1 gallon of each 2-part every 15 days. On such a small system, this is resulting in salinity creep requiring the removal of about 6 gallons of saltwater a month. I expect the demand to about double once the remaining corals arrive.

I may replace the current 2-part dosing system with my existing GEO612 CaRx and purchase a new, larger reactor for the 270.

While I ponder putting a CaRx on the grow-out tank, Picked up larger, 2.5 gallon jugs to use for 2-part. This should provide up to 45 days between refills...

[​IMG]
    1 gallon jug vs the 2.5 gallon

I promised myself that with this build I was going to get a better handle on organizing equipment and supplies. I standardized the storage units - all nest, are clear so you can see the contents and can be easily labeled...

[​IMG]
    These initial three will contain water testing, fragging and pump supplies and parts.

And a labeler so everything "knows it's name"...

[​IMG]

keithgh likes this.
  3. CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest Aspiring Aquascaper

Thanks Greenfinger - As for cost, I'm embarrassed to say I can't provide an exact cost to date. The tank, sump and stand were ~$4500, some of the equipment was already on hand from prior builds, but even re-using what I could - the total equipment costs including lights, SWS station, controller components, pumps, skimmer and reactors, plumbing, rock, substrate... will likely $20,000 before the acquisition of any livestock.

I should add this is NOT indicative of a typical build. It could be done for far less (perhaps less than 1/2 of my costs.) I was fortunate enough to be able to acquire equipment based on my specific needs and specs, rather than being largely cost-driven,

keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.
  4. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Tom, Thank you :) And Wow $20,000 It soon mounts up :giggle: Looking forward to seeing this SW Aquascape come to life now:rolleyes: Hope the new tank arrives with no scratches this time(y)

5. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Tom

Again thank you for all the work you have done so far in presenting all the detailed work you have done.

That is materials only so far, you added all the labour costs that would easily be doubled.

Your stock will it be local USA or imported?

Keith:):)

ShadowMac likes this.
  6. CatfishSoupFTW

CatfishSoupFTW Aspiring Aquascaper

my god 0__0

7. EChord

EChord Aspiring Aquascaper

:eek: That's quite a build. Can't wait to see what you do with it!

8. Cornokz

Cornokz New Member

We really need an update on this! I'm not a big fan of SW, but this has blown my mind! Can't wait for the end result

greenfinger 2, keithgh and ShadowMac like this.
  9. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I second Cornokz, an update is needed!

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  10. keithgh

And I third that.

Keith:):)

11. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

And me :D Please up date soon ;)

keithgh likes this.
  12. Asthaparhim

Asthaparhim Aspiring Aquascaper

And I fifth that :)

Would love to see a full picture of your tank, I'm sure it will be stunning.

PS. Your living room also looks very nice & cosy :D

keithgh likes this.
  13. keithgh

14. keithgh

Its been a very long time since we saw any photos of Marine Aquariums where have they all gone?

Keith:cat::cat: