1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Bunch or Spread?

Discussion in 'Critique My Aquascape' started by Dabrits, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Dabrits

Dabrits New Member

So I wasn't sure where else to put this question, but I want some opinions.

Here is my tank as it is.

[​IMG]

My question is regarding the layout of plants. I have the left side of the tank dominated by the corkscrew val and the right side dominated by primarily java ferns.

Should I spread the corkscrew val amongst the rest of the plants or keep them bunched together? Thanks in advance.

2. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

hi,
    I hope the rhizome of the fern is not under the soils, nor it will rot.
    Concerning the valis, I would spread a little ;)

3. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

I would spread the valis, but only along the backside of the aquarium. Many great aquascapes have a beautiful val curtain in the background, with the Java Fern complemented in the midground areas. Valis will spread very quickly and should fill up the background in about 3-4 weeks time.

As for the Java Fern, I believe it should go in the midground area. As Juri mentioned, don't plant the rhizome of the plant in the substrate as it will rot. Instead, attach it to the front and top side of the larger rock and let it grow out.

You may also want to find dwarf sag to fill up the remaining foreground.

-John N.

4. Dabrits

Dabrits New Member

Thanks to both of you for the tips.

I think next time I dig around in there I will re-spread the val along the back and bring the java to the mid.

The way I planted the java was planting it like any other plant and then pulling it back out so the majority of the rhizome (as I think it is, that brown clumpy part) was out of the substrate. If that isn't good enough, I may have to bring out the fishing line.

I will also do some research on dwarf sag for the foreground. Thanks John for the tipoff on that. My only concern is that my .7w/g light is too low to support its growth. Any thoughts?

5. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

You got it right. It's the rhizome. I suppose as long as the majority of the rhizome is out of the substrate, then you are good to go. I would however attach it to a rock or driftwood of some sort to ensure that it stays out of the substrate, and remains submerged.

That's a little low on the lighting scale for dwarf sag. But I think you can get some to "survive" in the scape. I've had some growing in similar low light conditions. Alternatively cryptocorynes parva is the way to go. Very low growing foreground plant and accepted to low light conditions.

-John N.