1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Building a drop off?

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by Carolina, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Carolina

Carolina New Member

I want to build a small drop off, like the beaches in California have. At the bottom will be sand. The tank will have a right angle scape.

What can I use to hold the dirt up, besides wood? Was thinking of using tin splash guards until someone said they could rust.

2. Al G. Begone

Al G. Begone New Member

Flat slate rocks, use them as the cliff face, particularly ones with a heavily textured surface.

3. chillaquaplants

chillaquaplants New Member

I really like this idea and can't wait to see it come together. I would use a thin plastic sheet long enough to cover the area you need. I get supplies like this from a local company that specializes in materials for architechs. Then I would find rocks that could hide the plastic and give the impression of cliffs.

4. hooha

hooha New Member

unless you use something like the slate mentioned to make the face of your drop-off, it will be difficult to keep the slope with sand or substrate.

that being said, you can also use the crossstich sheets for 20 cents each at Walmart/crafts store to make a barrier for a slope.

5. Anti-Pjerrot

Anti-Pjerrot New Member

I made something that should represent the cliffs in Denmark. The tank is made over 16 hours and torn down a day after that. It was for the german Art of the Planted Aquarium.

I used some rocks to get heigth (difficult to see due to the angle of the photo), and then used plants, small rocks and sand to support and even the sloping.

[​IMG]

6. Carolina

Carolina New Member

chillaquaplants are you talking about the plastic used under chips in a garden to prevent weeds from coming up? I wonder if it would melt in the tank?

I think I will use the cross stitch material with lava rock. I could make some holes in where I want to place lava rock. The drop off will only be 2.5 in, so I will first try to keep the dirt up with lava rock. I will keep the dirt in place with cardboard in the area I am not working.

I might make the substrate go up a bit on the right side. Uncertain what I will put under the dirt. Thinking of using PCV and put caps at the end or just put a lot of rocks under it. What is best to do that won't cause anaerobic conditions?

Uncertain when I will get to it. Working on mineralized soil in my apartment, for I can't leave it outside to dry. I left it in the little shed I have in the back for a few days but it didn't dry. I am tearing down my NPT, which has been up for about a year, and replacing the substrate. For at present I am battling BBA. Since I mixed vege ferts and root starter into the dirt I think it may be adding phosphates to the water column.