1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Breeding corydoras

Discussion in 'Fish' started by Jurijs mit JS, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

Hi,
    does anyone can share some experience or give any advice ?

2. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

My Schultzei blacks didn't require any assistance. They take no notice of cold water changes etc.

They spawn anything from every 5 days to 9 days and she scatters the eggs all over the leaves, glassware etc.

The suggestion with Corys unlike with many other fish is to have a ratio of 2 males to each female so therefore a group of 6 would be 2 females and 4 males. this means that there are plenty of males available when 1 of the females is ready and more eggs are likely then to be fertilised.

Other than that I can't really help yu Juri as it happened by accident with me so didn't really do any research ;)

AC

3. padookie

padookie New Member

Supercoly1 is right. I had good luck with a group of only 3. 2 males and 1 female. They would spawn every other week.

4. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

I never have the luck but couples of my friends does. According to them, no special secret. they just dump it to planted tank and couples weeks later baby corydoras swimming around. Problem probably figure it out which one is male and which one is female :p

5. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

to figure out which is male and which is female can be solved by feeding them lots of bloodworms - after that females will have lots of eggs - that is visible from above the tank.
    also there is something with the chest fins..

6. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

There is a much easier way to tell the sex. when mature the female will be visibly bigger both in length and width even when she is not laden with eggs.

It is a bit hard to see the eggs looking from above with black corys ;)

AC

7. KatjaT

KatjaT New Member

When my C. venezuelanus cories started spawning, there's no stopping! They laid the eggs mainly on glass where internal filter stream hits. I gathered the egg to mess-cage and they hatch in 3-5 days. Feeding with artemia-nauplii and crushed shrimp-pellets.

8. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

how to differentiate them at fish shop in the first place before you bought it? Not many fish shop owner know their fish sexes. What I know is just bought 10 or 20 of them, there must be at least one different sex in it :p

9. hazelceleste

hazelceleste New Member

My panda cories always spawn after I do a water change with cold water. By cold, I mean about 5 degrees cooler than the tank temperature.

Also, they seem to have more babies when I keep them with large river rocks as substrate, instead of regular gravel. The fry spend all day burrowing in the cracks between the rocks, searching for food. It's like an underground tunnel system just for them, lol. I've tried using plants and plastic decorations to provide hiding spots for the fry, but for some reason, they seem to do better with the rocks.

Unfortunately, mulm accumulates between river rocks really quickly. You have to be vigilant about cleaning it regularly so it doesn't build up.