1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Blue-Green Algae?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by MarineRecon, Aug 8, 2012.

1. MarineRecon

MarineRecon New Member

Hi everyone. Recently I have found what I think is blue-green algae in my freshwater 10 gallon aquarium. I took some picture for hope that some of you can confirm it and offer me a solution on how to minimize/eliminate it. Here are some pictures of the tank.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any help would be appreciated. :D

2. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

yup, look like BGA, how is your filter flow? I suggest to siphon the BGA using small hose, clean your filter and hope for the best. You may need to siphon couple of time. You can also try black out, black out work well on BGA.

3. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

BGA is a symptom of a few things generally speaking, low levels of flow is normally the most common, kno3 deficiency is another possibility, the other thing is poor maintenance, build up of mulm and dirty substrate and filter media. Luckily bga is by far the easiest of the algaes to fix, wrap the tank in a black plastic bin bag or similar for 3 days with no light, feeding or co2 ie a black out, once done, do a pair of back to back 50% water changes, clean the substrate, filter and tubing. Keep an eye on the tank and improve maintenance, if it comes back then you know it's something else, repeat the black out if it comes back and increase flow by adding a powerhead or putting on a larger filter that turns over more that 10x the tank volume. If it comes back again then it's the least likely of the trio, low levels of kno3.