1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

blue green algae??? cure??

Discussion in 'Algae' started by vanscheck, Apr 21, 2011.

1. vanscheck

vanscheck New Member

my brother has a nely setup aquarium 60L with 2x 36w 6hr/day, our ferts are arriving soon, we have diy co2, but in 3 days he started growing an unknown algae to me. i never ever saw this in my tank or my friends 200L. it's like a thin film if algae. i read that a blackout of 3-4 days will kill it.

Attached Files:

2. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

3. okayplayer

okayplayer New Member

if you have issues with BGA, just go for H2O2 (Perox)

That kills it in 10 minutes :) + disappear so no need for active carbon and so on

4. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Hmmm, I'd rather go black out but if it works and isn't burning the plants...

Remember this has been caused by something, so nows the chance to rectify it so it won't come back.

5. ibanezfrelon

ibanezfrelon New Member

I would..
    vacume out all the cyano
    dose ferts regularly, especially nitrates, keep those high 20-30ppm
    Keep a good surface ripple to oxygenate the tank, also turn up co2.
    Keep the tank clean, regular wc, keep the filter clean.
    It will go away.

6. yankadi

yankadi Aspiring Aquascaper

One more solution to solve this problem easily can antibiotics. But you should know what to do after that.. :rolleyes:

7. nbizzle

nbizzle New Member

ive found that increasing the flow rate in the tank and increasing the hardness over the course of a week or two will kill off the growth. it will take up to 6 weeks to totally reverse it tho.

8. medicatingperfection

medicatingperfection New Member

I got rid of BGA in my tank by dosing with Maracyn for 7 days. I think the dose is 1 packet/tablet for every 10 gallons. Run carbon and water change it out after the 7 days.

9. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I cringe when antibiotics are mentioned...

you have lots of beneficial bacteria and maracyn will kill them as well.

I say a blackout is your best bet. then try to find the source of the problem.

10. medicatingperfection

^I've done a lot of research on the use of Maracyn for BGA. It CAN hurt your BB, so it's recommended that you monitor your NH3/NH4 and NO2 levels while using it.

I tried doing a blackout, and while it worked initially the BGA came back within a week. Doing a blackout every week, week and a half just to keep something at bay that I can treat and be done with? No thanks.

11. ShadowMac

if it continues to come back then there is an issue within the tank which is creating the circumstances for it to flourish...

The blackout is intended to be used to eliminate it after you have solved the problem that allowed it to grow in the first place.

What research? please provide links.

concentrate on growing plants and you won't grow algae.

12. medicatingperfection

Blue green algae isn't actually an algae, it's Cyanobacteria.

It doesn't need a lot of the nutrients that algae does. It feeds almost solely on Nitrates (and phosphates). Which is why reefers try to keep nitrates as close to 0 as possible otherwise they get cyanobacteria (although a different organism because they deal with SW not FW it looks the same and does the same job, carpeting everything in a nasty layer of sludge). There's some confusing stuff about how it can use nitrogen from the atmosphere that is really hard to explain, so I'll let my articles tell you.

I assure you I have done my share of research on this. The second article refers to "erythromycin", Maracyn is just the tradename for e-mycin.

BGA and Maracyn (Eurythromyacin)

Blue Green Algae Article

Maracyn for blue/green algae

Aquatic Eden: Blue Green Algae (BGA) - Aquascaping Aquarium Blog

Cyanobacteria (Blue-green Algae) (this one is really helpful as it explains how BGA can use either Nitrates OR Phosphates)

Cyanobacteria treatment - Maracyn question - FishKeepingBanter.com

I have more if you want 'em. I don't do anything to my aquarium before I research the heck out of it. Not even adding new plants. Hope this helped to improve everyone's knowledge on BGA.

13. ShadowMac

You can find information to support any position on the net.

an outstanding algae guide: James' Planted Tank - Algae Guide

here is an example of a load of crap for your entertainment (not about BGA, just make believe science for the aquarium): Technology for Aquarium Filter

I am aware it is a cyanobacteria, that is why maracyn kills it. I do not contest its effectiveness in killing BGA. I disagree that it is the best option.

Anyone who uses an antibiotic will be successful in killing it. I oppose the idea of using an antibiotic because this algae/bacteria can be dealt with in other ways that are more sustainable and will improve ones ability to care for their tank and plants.

I have had BGA before, why has it not taken over the tank like some of those links suggest is inevitable unless "nuked" with Maracyn?

BGA is a photosynthesizing bacteria, it will not survive without light, usual cause of a bloom is too much light, low plant bio mass, and poor CO2 levels and POOR NITRATE levels. It can be dealt with much like other algaes.

Salt water methods do not apply.

This is just like when people want to take a pill to "cure" an ailment. If someone has high blood pressue taking a pill may lower it, but nothing will change in the long run without a change in lifestyle. The same thing goes for the tank, you can give it a pill, but if how it is being taken care of is not improved you will find yourself with another problem, possibly another inoculation of BGA.

14. ibanezfrelon

ibanezfrelon New Member

nonsence!

+1

15. ShadowMac

here is another informative link which has a response from someone very qualified, knowledgeable, and experienced in aquatic plant biology and aquatic ecosystems.

[APD] RE: Cyanophyta/BGA

It discusses an excess of dissolved organics as well as low nitrates. It also mentions how the genus of cyanobacteria within our tanks does not fix atmospheric nitrogen.