1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Blue-Green Algae (ASAP Help Please)

Discussion in 'Algae' started by MarineRecon, Sep 19, 2012.

1. MarineRecon

MarineRecon New Member

Hello everyone,

I have a blue-green algae breakout and I want to get rid of it. It was really bad until I lowered the light down to 4 hours a day. I read that you can use hydrogen peroxide, so I was wondering if any of you have had any experience with it. I have taken pictures of the progress. These pictures are actually good progress believe it or not hahaha.

Front View:
    [​IMG]

Ride Side:
    [​IMG]

Left Side:
    [​IMG]

Left Pane:
    [​IMG]

Right Pane:
    [​IMG]

Decor:
    [​IMG]

2. abhradip1986

abhradip1986 Aspiring Aquascaper

hydrogen peroxide is pretty toxic towards your fauna, IMO buy "erithromycin" from local pharmacy, break the tablet into half an' dose it with a small water solution once daily for next one week. It will be gone in no time..;)

3. Alexander Azizov

Alexander Azizov New Member

Too much food (organics, nitrates) for the BG algae in the water. That wood in the tank - is it clay decoration or real wood? Take it out and try to nose - it might have started to decompose. In case wood is OK, then probably you overfeed your fish.

4. MarineRecon

MarineRecon New Member

The decoration is fake. I have not been feeding my fish for the past week. Only in very small amounts every other day.

If I may ask, what is a fauna? Unless you are talking about my java fern. :)

5. abhradip1986

abhradip1986 Aspiring Aquascaper

by fauna I mean..your livestock in the tank.

6. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

I would never advise dosing antibiotics on a tank, firstly, because black outs work better and secondly because of the fact they play holy hell with the biological capacity of the tank. + they're illegal in large parts of the world, not to mention the whole superbugs from miss use of them argument. If you search the forum there are a lot of discussions on BGA, it's a very very easy thing to remedy, do a black out for three days. Clean the tank, filter and everything else, the root cause could be one of a few things but most likely poor maintenance and poor flow, potentially low kno3 but this is less common than poor maintenance and also low co2. Increase the maintenance, clean things more thoroughly, reduce feeding/make sure the tank isn't over stocked, make sure the filter is big enough double check dosing and co2 and see how it goes. If it comes back, increase the maintenance again and increase the flow, as a last resort increase the kno3 dosing, providing that it wasn't out of line originally. Below are two links, one a thread discussing BGA the other a link to the most reliable algae info. http://www.aquascapingworld.com/threads/bga.6117/page-2 http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm

7. deva3d

deva3d New Member

hi all and abhradip

iam posting my tank foto. the first image shows the tank after cleaning the tank.
    the other fotos shows the repeated problem occuring in my tank.
    whats that dust kind of thing deposited on the nana
    and how to get rid of the algae on the glasses..
    the plants r becoming brown in colour
    i trim and throw away those part and replant it.
    is there any other solution
    i like to know the cause of it
    lighting 2 x 54 t5 tubes.
    period 7-8 hrs a day
    co2 --1bubble per second
    kindly help me to over come this problem.
    some body help me to prevent this problem from recurring
    thanks

Attached Files:

8. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Deva3d, I would point you towards James c's excellent algae guide to identify the algae and the cure.

I strongly suspect your problems to be related to your co2, 1 bps means literally nothing as a measure, the tank by having algae is telling you that you need more co2, a drop checker would be a good investment. I also suspect poor maintenance and potentially insufficient ferts. Increasing the plant density would also be wise, rather than chucking out the plants replant them and double the plant mass.

Are your lights on timers? 7-8 hours make me wonder. Stability is the name of the game, put your lights and co2 on timers.

9. InfinityMinus1

InfinityMinus1 Aspiring Aquascaper

I also have BGA. where does one get potassium nitrate (kno3)?

10. Jeff5614

Jeff5614 New Member

11. ghostmonk

ghostmonk Aspiring Aquascaper

First of all manually clean up as much as possible. Increase circulation and CO2 in the tank. Check if you have any "dead zones", usually those areas are where BGA will start from before spreading. Also clean up your filter and sponge because that's where lot of the debri can start collecting over time. With the plant mass visible in the pictures the tank seems to have too much light, so that might be another change (less light, not just photo period till you get a decent amount of plant mass or add more plants).