1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Black cory's - C. Schultzei

Discussion in 'Fish' started by ghostsword, Dec 6, 2010.

1. ghostsword

ghostsword Aspiring Aquascaper Staff Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1Kw5AIPZ7E]YouTube - river slope 3dec.3GP[/ame]

Check the baby cory's out, they are black with coper fins.. :)

I need to take a proper video, will get my camcorder out and a tripod. :)

About the cory's, they are odd. The parents are wild caught C. Schultzei, and the offspring was supposed to be completely black, but they may have mixed with the albino, or then some form of mutation, they are now black with orangey fins. Got about 10 small ones.

Corydoras schultzei • Callichthyidae • Cat-eLog • PlanetCatfish

They look like this:
    Corydoras schultzei • Callichthyidae • Cat-eLog Image • PlanetCatfish

but slightly lighter.

Soon some will need to be rehomed, if you live in London and want some please let me know.

They are not for sale, free to only good homes.

2. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

Schultzei black aren't wild Luis. They are man made an not seen in the wild unless they were released after being captive bred.

They were originally line bred in Europe but now are sold worldwide, although not so easy to buy.

The adults are normally jet black with a velvety appearance to their bodys but as they grow older they become slightly greyer/browner and their 'armour' becomes clearly visible.

The ones you have don't look like Schultzei black to me. they look more brown in colour unless it is the light. Schultzei black are quite literally black especially when young.

If yours are indeed wild caught they may be sp venezuela black although it is debated and argued to this day whether there is such a fish. (C. venezuelanus are a seperate species to aenus and schultzei)

I have a breeding group of the Schultzei :)

Absolutely beautiful fish:

These are circa 1 year old and getting to full size. Still black and around 4-5cm in length

[​IMG]

These are 1 month old and 1cm or smaller. Compare their size to the cherry shrimp on the intake. The shrimp is slightly longer. lol. the nearest 'huge' plant on the left is actually Cryptocoryne Parva shadowed under a Wendtii. This pic makes those plants look huge.

[​IMG]

And a full grown female here who is starting to become a lighter grey/brown colour at 3 years old. She is around 7-8cm long and you can see a 6 week old fry in front of her (That is an Oto trying to get in on the picture.)

[​IMG]

Probs a good thing they aren't the Schultzei blacks. Being a 'man made' selective line bred fish they aren't so hardy and are very susceptible to illness.

AC

p.s. Your house sounds just like mine with TV Kaka on in the background. lol

3. ghostsword

Cheers mate..

I am now confused about what sort of fish are these I have. They are not as dark as yours.

The parents looks very similar to the Aeneus but have a shiny strip below the dorsal fin, and the fry are darker than the aeneus but with orange fins. :)

I will try to take better pics.

4. Supercoley1

post the pic up and I'll ask on planet catfish. Did the importer say where they were importand from?

AC

5. ghostsword

Got some pics. The importer said that they got them from Venezuela, they came mixed up with C. Aeneus, and as they didn't know what they were just labelled them as C. Aeneus. I bought the lot, but the offspring are not like the parents.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. ghostsword

Also, if you are in London and would like a couple of these please let me know. Got too many now, over 30 fry ready to be moved and the parents just spawned again.

7. Supercoley1

8. Frosties

Frosties New Member

I also contacted Jeremy Gay from pfk (current editor). He believes that these are the c. Shultzei as well.

9. ghostsword

Thanks. The plot thickens, the parents are exactly like this:
    [​IMG]

The site calls them Corydoras Aeneus Orange stripe. I have seen my albino cory fertilizing the eggs, now what if these are a mix between the two, and some weird mutation came out?

But to all the offspring? They all look alike.

10. Supercoley1

Jeremy Gay? And so speaks the voice of wisdom. lol

If as Ghostsword says above those are the parents then Jeremy is wrong. The original video didn't look like Schultzei blacks and those parents are definitely not Schultzei black.

Planetcatfish opinion is leaning towards 'sp Venezuela' just as I suggested earlier, however that was before the 'parents' picture which I have just added into the planetcatfish thread. I am now pretty certain (myself) they aren't from Venezuela. I think they are 'Peru Orange Stripe' and may well have interbred with something else in captivity to form the darker version you have.

Take 'my pretty certain' with a pinch of salt as I am nowhere near as qualified as others to ID it. Should have those parents ID'd by tomorrow. Then its just a case of singling out who has been breding with who. lol

One thing for sure though is that if they are indeed wild caught fish then they are most definately not Schultzei Black as that is a 'man made' variation

I'll repost with a 'final ID' when they've done. as there are 3 or 4 suggestions as to their Identity so far.

As you say above interbreeding causes different variations. The Schultzei Black was selectively bred with very dark variants until they got to the stage where it was as black as black :)

I would guess there are many tanks around the word that have 'none classified' variants of fish.

AC

11. ghostsword

I went back to the shop, and asked the guy where did he got the fish.

It turns out that they came with C. Aeneus but they did not know what they were, so just labeled them as C. Schultzei, as they looked like that from the pics.

From the planet catfish the closest are the CW14, the first pic, the darker ones with the half stripe on head and neck. The stripe does not got through the body.

The parent have spawned again, and today I took the time to see who was fertilizing the eggs, the Aeneus albino.

They seem to be an hybrid between the albino cory and the orange stripe cory's.

The offspring are really nice looking, I just wonder if they are able to breed between themselves, as usually hybrids are sterile, but eventually will need new blood into the mix.

I will get some clear sand and top the black gravel with it, will look good with the dark plants at the back, then take some more pics.

Very curious of what they are.

12. ghostsword

I think that the fish are indeed hybrids.

One of the parents:
    [​IMG]

The fry:
    [​IMG]

Parent and fry:
    [​IMG]

Gave 10 away already, 5 to each of my brothers, they have dwarf cichlids on their tanks, almost impossible for thse cory's to breed there.

They indeed very pretty fish, will see how they grow up and hopefully they are infertile, so a one off.

A video of the family:
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7L75kfXNVQ[/youtube]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7L75kfXNVQ"]YouTube - red fin corydoras[/ame]

Thank you Supercoley for assisting me in identifying the fish.

13. ghostsword

Maybe some good news after all, from Planet Catfish:
    "The image in the last picture is what is called Corydoras aeneus "Gold shoulder" there are many populations of these collected in Western Brazi, Peru, Colombia and Venezuela. Your Albino is almost certainly Corydoras aeneus. So, you are not technically producing a hybrid just colour forms of Corydoras aeneus, until such a time when the whole "Aeneus group gets sorted out. Then many of the colour forms may be given new species names. Albinos turn up in all species and are not considered as anything more than colour forms.

I would still like to see what they look like after a week over a lighter substrate.

The Corydoras aeneus type schultzii "Black" are line bred colour forms that all emanated from Germany about 8 or 10 years ago and were then commercially produced for the hobby in the Czech republic, they remain black whatever colour the substrate. The image below is of a natural Corydoras aeneus type "schultzii" "

I will set two or three on a separate tank with some clear sandy bottom and see what comes out of it.

Would be really cool if they are not a hybrid but just a new colour variation of the C. Aeneus.

14. Supercoley1

Lol. At least you know what the female parent is :)

Glad to be of help.

AC

15. ghostsword

16. ghostsword

17. Supercoley1

Nice one Luis. They look sweet.

18. ghostsword

19. Jwan0917

Jwan0917 New Member

20. ghostsword

Thanks. :)

I was playing with the camera and managed to get them focused while panning it. :) it was just luck.