1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Black Beard Algae! HELP!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Mildly Rabid, May 27, 2011.

1. CatfishSoupFTW

CatfishSoupFTW Aspiring Aquascaper

jebus christ.. some of you guys are just too crafty and smart. i have soo much to learn. following this has already helped out. i have always thought about DIY co2, but then i run into issues such as running out quickly, (from what i have read) and so i have never bothered.

i agree with the lighting though. the hood does cover a lot. class canopies are.. sorta pricey, mine was 50 bucks- the class cover with a handle, but that was just for a reg. rectangular tank. id imagine that bowfront one may cost a bit more :S

Sponsored link:

2. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

A single or pair of t8's, the shop counter sort would be the cheapest way I reckon, a single t5 might well be too much, aim low with light and hi with co2.
    As per Shadowmac's suggestions two batches is better than one and so on.

3. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Forget a cover completely if there is a way to suspend a fixture above the light. I plan to build something soon using electrical conduit attached to the stand so I would be able to hang my zoomed fixture for my low tech 29 from it I don't like hanging it from the ceiling. If I build it I will maybe make a post.

4. Mildly Rabid

Mildly Rabid New Member

Not sure if I can go hoodless with the fish I have - on every profile I've seen swordtails are supposed to be jumpers. I looked at shop lights and different t5 lamps at the hardware store but fit the tank. not sure if I remember exactly. If you think the CFLs should be spaced farther apart, I can just use 2 different extension cords no problem...