1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Biotope or not?

Discussion in 'Biotope Layouts' started by Ian, Jan 28, 2014.

1. aliclarke86

aliclarke86 Aspiring Aquascaper

That made me laugh so does that make you the numpty Keith ?? :-D :-D

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Ian, greenfinger 2 and keithgh like this.

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

aliclarke

Too often lately I call it getting forgetful and older.

Keith:):)

Ian, greenfinger 2 and aliclarke86 like this.
  3. Ian

Ian Aspiring Aquascaper

Oh Keith this world wide web thing teaches us all a little, I suppose, probably not all good… Sorry.:confused:

I recall spending some time in the less densely populated areas of the Mojave Desert, and although the people there spoke the same language as me, we had a major problem in understanding each other; one word that caused much confusion was “Fortnightly” obviously not used much in that area.:ROFLMAO:

Anyway back on topic I called in our local Pet supermarket today, (I don’t normally shop there, but its always good to browse) I wanted to have a look at a few items, only to find they have closed off the Aquatics section for refurbishment, that came as a bit of a blow.

Something else that is pushing me more and more towards the “AS world”, is the number of the African Cichlid aquariums I have seen recently on forums with the “Wrong” rocks and substrate in them, its very frustrating, and totally wrong in my mind, these are not Marine fish, corals and ocean rock don’t belong in these tanks, which I know you guys wouldn’t do. I feel there is a more understanding, knowledgeable approach to the fish and their well being here, let’s face it if you are going to spend the time and effort getting it right for the plants, then it’s only natural that the same effort is put into getting it right for the fish and/or crustaceans.

On a progress point, I said this whole project was part of some home renovations, well they are running to plan as phase A, will be completed this weekend, and it has only taken 6 months! There are still parts B and C to be completed though, prior to any aquatic purchases.:cry::rolleyes::confused::(

Kind Regards Ian

4. Ian

Ian Aspiring Aquascaper

OK Team here goes, I got sucked into to web searches on plants today, you know what it’s like just looking at options, considering what would look good, what have you seen before, low-level foreground plants etc, so I ended up “accidentally” buying some “For research purposes of course!” Well that’s what I told the wife ….

I’ve got a small cube shape glass dish, which all of a sudden has become a nano! The plants will arrive tomorrow, so I should get a little bit of time to set something up to make them at home… I can’t put them in my existing tank straight off because they’ll probably just get eaten, and that was not my intention in anycase…I’d like to see how simple or not these are to grow. Only if have any left then I may try to secure them to some B/W for my existing tank, just to see if the fish are interested or not, see it's all research…

Luckily for me I have to take the wife shopping in the morning:LOL::LOL::LOL:, right next door to a pet superstore!(y)(y)(y) I’ll need to see what they have in stock - liquid ferts and fert tabs etc I need to give them every chance I can.

Kind Regards Ian

5. aliclarke86

aliclarke86 Aspiring Aquascaper

Haha I accidentally buy plants all the time :-D what did ya get?

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Ian likes this.
  6. Ian

Ian Aspiring Aquascaper

Ali just some Hemianthus callitrichoides, well you guys keep talking about them and I've never seen them so I had to give them a try (y)

aliclarke86 likes this.
  7. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Ian, I like your thinking Research :sneaky: Wonder if that will work on my wife :cautious: HC Cuba superb ground cover plant but can over run your hardscape so will need constant trimming :D

Ian likes this.
  8. Ian

Ian Aspiring Aquascaper

Been out bought some subsrate and aquabasis , plants have arrived too, I'll update with more tomorrow...

greenfinger 2 and aliclarke86 like this.
  9. greenfinger 2

Hi Ian, Looking forward to this :D

10. Ian

Ian Aspiring Aquascaper

OK as promised, Please be gentle, remember this is a first attempt at this and quite short notice so not a lot of planning went into it really, I have taken these immediately after adding water so you can still see its cloudy and there are bubbles everywhere. But I hope it’s enough to give the initial indication of what I’m doing

I got the plants from a company called “Aqua Essentials”, (aquaessentialsl.co.uk) I’ve never used them before, I have no links to the company, but I can’t recommend them more highly, the plants are great, the service is perfect, (next day) they sent me a full colour brochure listing all their plants with pictures, they stock all your plants needs in one place.

Hopefully tomorrow it should look better, I know its Simple but Roy likes simple so I figured that’s the way to go, I live in a really hard water area so this is collected rain water (luckily we’ve had plenty of rain recently, and I didn’t need much)

[​IMG]
    Just so you get an idea of the depth [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. greenfinger 2

Hi Ian,Love this little one:rolleyes::rolleyes: And KIS always works :D And This is KIS at its best (y)(y)
    One thing London tap water is as hard as nails :LOL: That's all i use and my tanks are fine :)
    RAIN Don't it has not stopped(n) And this W/End There's More too come :mad: Bet there will be a hose pipe ban in the summer if we get one:(:LOL:

keithgh, aliclarke86 and Ian like this.
  12. chiangstar

chiangstar Aspiring Aquascaper

Looks great, Ian. What are the dimensions of that container? Looks nano!

Cheers

Simon

Ian likes this.
  13. Ian

Ian Aspiring Aquascaper

Simon, Really Nano! depending on where you are it's 5.5 inches or 14cm cube (y)Depending on your monitor that last picture is almost actual size I have actually found a cheap mini Co2 option for it too, just need to collect it from the local Fish store, even the wife likes it :):):) But we are not sure where it could go yet! Talk about not planned!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  14. chiangstar

chiangstar Aspiring Aquascaper

14cm! We're metric down here on this big island at the bottom of the world. The HC will probably love that CO2 when it's installed. Looking forward to seeing your progress

Cheers

Simon

Ian likes this.
  15. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Ian I don't it all "I love it"

Its certainly KIS with a little extra

Here are a few suggestions for you.

I tilted the "large" stone to the left a little to match the other two as you had two sloping and the feature stone upright upright.

I also move it back into the corner a whisker as you could be losing valuable planting space for more plants.

I removed the flat long stone other that it made and equal number it was very distracting to a simple but a good stone placement.

Another suggestion the height of the substrate was uneven I would like to see it level across the front.

The substrate can be place at the back RH corner not the LH as it looks a bit high for the Aquascape you have done.

Keith:):)

Ian likes this.
  16. Ian

Ian Aspiring Aquascaper

Keith,

Glad you like it, and I will take your comments onboard, however I had made some changes prior to seeing them, I will have a go at taking some photos later (if I get a chance) it's a busy weekend :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I had gone with what you have said, but not quite rather than tilting the larger stone I’d brought the two smaller ones inline with it! As for levelling the front I have gone totally opposite and emphasized the dip…:ROFLMAO:

The other bits will come in time, it’s so small I am using “chop sticks” to manhandle things round so it’s all very delicate, I also need to give the HC time to root.(y)

17. Ian

Ian Aspiring Aquascaper

Ok been playing with the camera never actually photographed aquariums of any kind before let alone mini little ones like this.

Sun Set

[​IMG]

Big Rock now the water is somewhat clearer the colour is more visible just wish i could get those bubles to move on the middle rock...

[​IMG]
    Framed just playing
    [​IMG]

Slightly different angle suppose I ought to think about backdrop colours, blue, black, skyscape?

[​IMG]
    Where I’m going a bit of Aquatic licence here but the aim is just to get the HC to grow, really it’s just a trial. Should I then move up to an Aquascape or should I go Biotope that’s the real question?
    No CO2 yet but it won't be long all the work on the house for this weekend completed so that's good.
    [​IMG]

18. greenfinger 2

Hi Ian, That looks fantastic Mate congrats on this little one:rolleyes::rolleyes::love:(y)
    With the air bubbles:) Try a kids paint brush one of the long slim ones. Then just brush them off :D

Ian likes this.
  19. Ian

Ian Aspiring Aquascaper

Thanks Roy will do, meantime I've been playing
    [​IMG]

20. greenfinger 2

Hi Ian, Well you had me looking for the arrows coming from the Apache Indians :) Superb :love:

keithgh and Ian like this.