1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Biological filter media volume - quick formula ?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Cip, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Cip

Cip Aspiring Aquascaper

Thank you @MarcelM !

ShadowMac and MarcelM like this.

Sponsored link:

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

3. MarcelM

MarcelM Aspiring Aquascaper

keithgh and ShadowMac like this.
  4. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

MarcelM

Thank you a very interesting posting.

Keith:cat::cat:

5. MarcelM

MarcelM Aspiring Aquascaper

Thanks guys no problem, i know how important filtering is. And it's a much thought about and sought after subject to perfectionize. But it doesn't need to be so difficult nor expensive.. As the author of the side allready explaines with how nitrification proces works, then there is nothing more sufficient than put a fluidized bed sand filter behind your cannister. These filters are unbeatable when it comes to biomedia and surface area and are complete self cleaning. And a hand full of sand cost nothing.. :rolleyes: Well if you are lucky, else you have to buy a bag.

I found that the terrarium dessert sand from the pet store was the most suitable sand for a filter like this. It's very fine grained and doesn't need a massive amount of flow to move.

I made a filter like this from a simple plastic € 5 spaghetti jar with a sealed lid and a few pvc connectors.. Nothing is glewed all is screwd or fit together with seal rings so it doesn't leak. The glew connecters fit snug enough to hold without.

Here is a small diagram of how it's put together, it is very simple and easy to make. Total coast was about €10 to 15. It is an almost excact copy of the € 65 FSB filter from the lfs shelf and works excactly the same. And has the same pros and same cons.. :)
    Naamloos.jpg

Here is a short video how it runs in my setup. :)

Cons are :D yes there are.. Less if you size it correctly, but it will always reduce the flow ofcourse because you have to push the water through the sand. That's why i used very small grained sand from the pet store for dessert reptile terrariums. It's animal save and clean.. If you make it to small and the flow is to strong you'll push the sand through into your tank. You thus need a way to play with your filter pumps output to make it run smoothly or make it big enough in the first place and adjust your amount of sand accordingly to the flow..

These filters are so sufficient they can be nitrogine factories, in heavily planted tanks this aint a problem and usualy only welcom.. In less planted tanks with a high bioload from livestock it can become tricky and such a filter can gass out and even be deadly. But that's something very rare but theoreticaly it can happen.

Another thing to think of is place a little checkvalve behind this filters outlet, this to prevent back flow and sand ending up in the pumps impeller.
    This will only happen if you pull off a hose and water will syphon back.. So if you sure you wont forget this, it will neer happen. Are you liike my suffering from alzheimer light. You might need it.. :rolleyes:

If you are a heavy flow freak and solely depending on the power of your filterpump to achieve disered flow rate.. This might be no option for you.. You might need to consider and extra powerhead/wavemaker in the tank to make up for it. Sand filter can only take so much of flow regarding the size it is made.

Is it perfect?? Absolotely needed? No! But it's again a step closer. And it's just fun to make and to have and see it work. (y)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
    keithgh and Cip like this.
  6. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Marcel

A very interesting DIY project.

Keith:cat::cat:

MarcelM likes this.