1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Biodome?

Discussion in 'Shrimp and Invertz' started by Aramello, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Aramello

Aramello New Member

I came across a product called EcoSphere, which is a glass bowl sealed-off, with some algae, shrimp and micro-organism living in it, and was immediately enchanted by what it represented. A tiny world that would supposedly sustain itself.

Unfortunately, after some more browsing on the subject I found out these poor shrimps most likely die of starvation and pollution. I don't want that, but I am really intrigued and I am trying to find out what options there are for creating your own, larger, semi-self-sustaining biosphere?

I came across some videos that showed closed off bowls that even had fish in them and were self-sustaining, but I found it pretty iffy and can't imagine it would be very healthy for the fish.

What possibilities are there to aquascape and have fish without heating, filtering and CO2?

2. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Aramello, Sounds iffy to me too (n)(n) How would you do water changes ??? And the build up of waste products ?? I don't think it would be healthy for any life form :(:( Even with a biosphere. You would need to do water changes every couple of days or so to keep good water quality. It would be ok just for plants ;) But to small to keep fish or shrimp in.

3. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

self sustaining systems are possible, but not without some input from you. filtration is important and natural biospheres have it our tanks especially need it since they are self contained systems without constant renewal of water, food, etc.

Have you ever come across a body of water that was stagnant? They do not harbor much life and are generally stinky rotting pools. This is what these Ecosphere's are creating. It is a marketing ploy because some companies and people see the aquarium industry as a disposable hobby. Buy more fish when they die, more plants when they die, etc. Some people think they get their money's worth if things stay alive long enough, but never pay any mind to the lifespan of the critters and how poorly they are being kept.

What you ask can be done without heating and CO2. You will need light, can be artificial or natural and filtration. A good substrate to hold nutrients is a good idea. Look into the Walstad method.

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  4. Glomeridae

Glomeridae Active Aquascaper

Just my personal opinion, but isn't it a little sad to have a tank in which you can't touch the water?
    Just my opinion! ;)

greenfinger 2 likes this.