1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Big AL's 50 gallon scape

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by BigAL777, Aug 11, 2016.

1. J Art

J Art Aspiring Aquascaper

So far this is my favorite plant. Grows really well and looks fantastic.

ShadowMac likes this.

Sponsored link:

2. BigAL777

BigAL777 Aspiring Aquascaper

I worry about the details, I'm an artist! Lol
    The reason I did the dry start was to grow the glosso from seeds. And since most aquatic plants can grow emersed it's not that bad to plant the plants awhile.
    That MYRIOPHYLLUM MATTOGROSSENSE looks like cabomba plants, I don't know why, but I don't like the way cabomba looks. I'll plant it anyway since I could always take it out later.
    I appreciate the help guys, I can start to see this scape take shape

3. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

The myrio will soften the broad colored leaves of the other plants. Think of it as a filler. The green foliage in a flower vase

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

4. BigAL777

Oh I don't doubt that, I trust what he says is right. I planted a lot more of what he sent tonight, just as was stated. It's kind of a hodgepodge in the back, I added green stems around the reds. I moved an AR mini plant to right side, and put some of the cabomba looking plants behind. I moved the Java fern to hug the DW and break it up a little:
    [​IMG]
    The arrow is pointing to the hygrophilia pinnatifida, which will stand up when Flooded, the leaves are a bit heavy for emersed growth. I planted most of what was sent.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  5. ShadowMac

I'm not sure what happened to the last post I read last night, but there were a couple things in it I thought I could respond to.

Patience, patience, and more patience. Aquascaping does not get you fast results with plants. The absolute fastest you could go would be three months to final results (12 weeks). So your other scape is at one month and on track. My 45 cm took 5 or 6 months to begin to fill in completely...it still has time to go to get some of the hidden low growing stems to emerge. There is a reason I have the Emerson quote in my signature...it is a critical component to the hobby. You cannot rush it. Its also why you find so many of us getting more than one tank...we get impatient. I remember you saying you started a wabi-kusa...that's a good way to play around while you have to wait for everything else. If you want something to do daily...clean out some of the algae and change some water, trim unhealthy leaves. Little bits of maintenance are always beneficial and do not have to be bunched up at the end of the week.

This tank looks nice. I love the hardscape. Its leaps above my first couple scapes. Honestly, I considered myself an aquascaper from the start...but I came to realize that I was a planted tank keeper for the first couple years. While some may not think there is a difference...I think there is...and the difference may lie in the competence, intent, and execution of the scaper. Plant growth is a foregone conclusion for an aquascaper. Seeing the plants on the web is far different than growing them and manipulating their shape or look, you also cannot get a sense of scale for the plants or see how they change over time and with multiple trimmings. Like you said in the missing post...experience can only be gained one way. This is just the part of the journey you are on for the moment, don't rush through it and set yourself some realistic goals. Everyone struggles with hobby burnout, remember this is supposed to be enjoyable...don't put too much pressure on yourself. The Nature Aquarium Gallery wasn't grown in a day. ;)

The fern back right I would move in front of the largest piece of wood.

At this point in your development as an aquascaper, you need to focus on the growing of plants well. Good healthy plants look nice no matter their arrangement.

6. BigAL777

I took it down, I didn't think it was very respectful, I kind of had a bad day.
    My point was, what am I supposed to do to make those informed decisions at this point? I can't rush my scapes, or make the plants grow faster, what should I be doing to learn. What can I study at this point to get the knowledge to be able to make the informed decisions?
    I know patients is very important, I'm not disputing that at all. I would like to know if there's something I should do while waiting. Should I just stop asking so many questions?

ShadowMac likes this.
  7. ShadowMac

At this point it wouldn't be the worst idea to take what you have learned and try to run with it. Try and troubleshoot your problems a little on your own and update the journal with the things you are doing and why you are doing them, as well as the results you see. Remember that changes usually take weeks to manifest results. Good things happen slowly in a planted tank....bad things quickly. Also remember to try and not tweak too many variables at a time.

Sit back and try to grow the plants well. Let things happen for a little bit. If you want to sharpen your layout skills maybe put together a little Scape Fu Dojo and practice hardscaping. You could draw layouts or plan for the fish that will occupy your tanks.

Get a good measure of CO2 over time for each tank so you know how its going.

Continue to be patient.

8. BigAL777

I've been filling the tank up and getting my plumbing set up for about 2 hours now. I turned the filter on and all of the plants you see floating uprooted, my filter might be too strong for stems without roots at this point, but that won't stop me! I have the eheim skim on the back left side, I'm waiting for steel pipes from China to get here to replace the ugly black plastic. Here's a photo of what I've done so far:
    [​IMG]

9. ShadowMac

Plant them deep and try to plant at a slight angle into the substrate, this will help with the floating.

10. BigAL777

Got it, I had to cut all of the AR roseafolia in half since it didn't have roots but large leaves.
    All filled and everything turned on:
    [​IMG]
    Plumbing + co2:
    [​IMG]
    This is my first time using an in-tank atomizer:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  11. BigAL777

Still a bit murkey, but most plants stayed planted:
    [​IMG]
    My GLA regulator is acting funny. I'll set the bubble rate and come back to it in like 20 minutes, and it will be almost off.

12. ShadowMac

what is your working pressure? you need 30 psi to run an atomizer

13. BigAL777

60, the atomizer is fine, but the regulator fluctuates on it's own

14. ShadowMac

don't run it higher than you have to. maybe leak test the reg

15. BigAL777

I don't know anything about regulators, so where would I find accurate information on doing that?

16. ShadowMac

To do a pressure test, simply make sure everything is hooked up and the tank is open. Check to see if you have working pressure. Then close the tank. Watch to see if the working pressure stays or if it drops. If it drops you have a leak at either the hookup between the regulator and the tank or elsewhere. Since you bought it from GLA you can reach out to them for some support.

17. BigAL777

Ok, thanks I'll try it out later, I'm going to see if my LFS finally got some Otos in.

18. BigAL777

Update:
    Not much survived from Shawn's shipment, unfortunately. I took out all of my illegal plants and replaced them with HC Cuba. This tank didn't go through a diatoms phase, could the size of the tank be the main cause of that? I did use seachem stability and pristine.
    [​IMG]

keithgh likes this.
  19. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

BigAL

I would have liked to see this tank from the beginning.

Its different, very bold and rough nature looking, its something I would not do but credit to you for doing it.

I could look totally different when fully established.

Its an Aquascape I would like to see regular updates.

Keith:cat::cat:

20. BigAL777

Hey Keith welcome back!
    I don't have any recent photos, the DW has been leaching tannis like crazy so the water isn't really clear. Its especially difficult to keep clear in such a large volume. I've added 6 small angel fish, 20 neon tetras, and 8 Otos.
    I don't really consider it an aquascape, there's no real design thought put into this tank. The plants are kind of just thrown in there. I took out some of the HC Cuba since it's growing really slow and replaced with some monte carlo.