1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Bga

Discussion in 'Algae' started by lucasgg, Feb 9, 2012.

?

To exterminate blue green algae

1. By dosing an algaecide

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. By adding more plants

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. By adding co2

8 vote(s)
    66.7%
  4. By "carpeting"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

(Pre question) What exactly do you mean by "turn over"????

Sponsored link:

2. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

As in how many litres is your tank and how many times is it being turned over an hour. So if it's a 300lph filter on a 30l tank it's 10x etc.

3. lucasgg

Well here's the picture.
    I do not have any co2, but I have a flat 20 gallon aquarium with a aquaclear 50 and I'm not sure what the gallons per hour are. For all I know is that it's on wide open
    I also cannot give you any levels due to loosing my sheet with the color code on it.

IMG_7463.jpg IMG_7463.jpg

4. Garuf

I see right. Now we can make some inroads.
    Though your tank has plants it's just not densely planted enough to consider it a planted tank per say and as such we're probably best considering it as if it was a hardscape only type scape with reduced light intensity and duration.

As such I think what's best would be one of two things, either re-scape the tank with a scape that has at least 50% substrate planted or secondly rescape and run the tank as a hardscape only, minimal plant mass low light tank.

What would be your preference. As is I think your problem is trying to run a fish tank as a planted tank and that your sand is too fine in combintation with an ineffective filtration system meaning dirt and mulm is building up far too readily and exaserbated by low co2 and too much light.

5. lucasgg

What kind of substrate/mix would you recommend most?
    Also, what kind of filtration/filter would you recommend most?
    I know that want to use the planted tank method.
    Are you recommending that I get not as bright lights?
    And I do need CO2.

6. Garuf

Well, really it'd be a matter of starting from scratch with what you already have and that would potentially mean quiet an outlay but the results will be worth it in my opinion.

Here are a couple of examples of hardscape only tanks before you dismiss it out right.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is the supporting article from the Great British scaper Geroge Farmer. http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=2950

Firstly what do you want to achieve, could you post a picture of what the scape you dream of looks like and we can advise better, also how much time you have to maintain the tank.

We can then talk you through a good set up for a beginner and the according best practice to achieve your goals.

Getting to grips with plants at first is hard, we're all here to guide you as best we can. :)

7. lucasgg

Tank maintaining time can vary because of, first of all, I'm home schooled, so I may have trouble with a subject and loose an hour of aquarium time.
    But on the other hand I could have a really good day and get done by 1:00.
    So if I just say, maybe an average of one hour a day, a lower maintenance aquarium, which would make it hard without any nutrient eating plants.

8. lucasgg

Very interesting article though

Probably my favorite hardscape is the one on the top.:LOL:
    How ever, if I did go with the aquascape on the top I would have to buy a new glass box.

9. Garuf

An hour a day is more than enough time for a hi-light tank generally speaking.

Still post up a picture of what your dream tank would be like and we'll see what to do.

10. lucasgg

pause the video and go to 5:05.

11. lucasgg

Have you seen the aqua scape at 5:05 in the video?

12. lucasgg

Have I lost my help?
    I'm thinking about moving this thread to an aquascaping part 'o' the Forum

13. Garuf

Sorry my participation will be minimal for a while, I had surgery on my spine and I'm pretty much in 24/7 pain at the minute so I'm only on in passing to clean up spam and check nothings going wrong.

As for the scapes, every single scape featured in that video would require 2xt5's with reflectors and pressurised co2, almost all feature a clay based substrate too. Really they're your run of the mill hi-light hi-energy tanks and if you want to replicate one you should treat it as such.

Ideally you want a substrate such as ADA's aquasoil.
    A pressurised co2 rig and a hi-quality atomizer +solenoid and timer. Fertilisers to be dosed daily and a hi-turn over filter, no less than 10x more being better.

From there you want to plant the tank from the very start with at least 60% of the substrate covered with plants not one or two here and there as you have currently.

I'd say it's probably best to start a new thread which will in turn attract more posters.

14. lucasgg

I'll take your advice and post a new thread. I've drown out a Aquascape that I like quite A lot, and I'll post a picture of it in the new thread.

Get Better Soon!

15. lucasgg

I actually have a very inefficient silver reflector, a DIY wooden fixture, and 2xT8's. My Father works at Voss Lightning
    So he can help me with most of the lighting stuff. I'll just need some help with what kind of light certain plants need.

16. Garuf

if your father is able to get hold of a par meter then this will help you no end, around 40par at the substrate is plenty for more or less everything.

Reflectors are no big issue, a white painted hood is sometimes just fine, if anything inefficient might be a blessing in disguise as it will keep light levels down and there for co2 demand in check.

2xt8s with reflectors knowing the tank size will be sufficient to grow anything especially if they're new tubes, daylights in particular seem to produce more par anecdotally.

17. lucasgg

I'm dosing a fert right now.... It's called Flourish Excel. My Plants look a little better(especially my tiger lily) and the algae isn't quite as "booming".

F.Y.I. I'm going to upload some new pictures soon.

18. lucasgg

My brother has a non-waterproof light sensor that reads in foot-candles, and it read 15 foot candles when I lined up the sensor with the top of the substrate. I'm sorry, but I can't convert foot-candeles to PARs....

19. lucasgg

Here's some pictures!
    The pictures are allot less green than the tank really is...
    IMG_8912.JPG IMG_8913.JPG IMG_8914.JPG IMG_8915.JPG IMG_8916.JPG IMG_8917.JPG IMG_8918.JPG IMG_8919.JPG

20. lucasgg

Here's some update pictures!

IMG_9009.JPG

IMG_9012.JPG

IMG_9018.JPG

IMG_9019.JPG

IMG_9022.JPG

IMG_9031.JPG

IMG_9033.JPG

As you can see the algae has receded considerably, considering how much algae is in the previous pictures.