1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Bettas & Gourami's aquascape

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by terradelie, Feb 8, 2016.

1. terradelie

terradelie New Member

Hello,

I'm a french beginner in aquascaping, and I would like to write here a journal about my project, started 2 years ago, and your advices are really welcome.

I will try to explain this project with correct english ..

VOLUME : 160*50*50, 400 L, with hardscape 320-300 L

LIGHT : 3 light bars led "daytime" 49 watts - 7000K°, lumens 5880 Lm, TOTAL : 40 lumens/L

FILTERS : JBL Filtre CristalProfi e1501, 1400/L/h , I will buy another filter, maybe Eheim professionnal 3 with control of temperature.

SUBSTRATE : under plants, MALAYA, and beaches with LA PLATA SAND

C02 : JBL Kit CO2 ProFlora m603

Osmosis : i will buy Puratek Deluxe 200 (750 liters per day, because I don't like to wait).

Twinstar : ok

Fishes : honey gouramis, pumila gouramis, wild bettas (not decided yet)

Plants : h monte carlo, h callitrichoid, hydrocotyl sp, echinodorus tenellum, cardamin lyrata tropica, hydrocotyl leucocephala etc.

[​IMG]

Hardscape ideas : 3 islands with okho stones

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Moss and plants on okho stones, behind left island tall plants, same behind right island,

the island in the center, will not be in the center, but 2/3 (almost like golden number)

Riccia, h monte carlo, hc and hydrocotyl will follow island lines

I will try to soften the transition between sand beaches and plants with riccia stones

Thank you for your advices

Sponsored link:

2. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

Not too sure about the island in the middle. Artistically it's distracting, but go ahead and to a dry scape with your substrate of choice either in your tank or in a card board impression of it's foot print. We'll start the help from there.

3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

terradelie

Welcome to ASW can you fill in your Country not FR and your location please.

[​IMG]

To be honest I am very confused at what you are trying to do, at the moment nothing work together making it all uninteresting.

Make up something like that mock up tank to the same size as your tank.

Keith:cat::cat:

4. terradelie

terradelie New Member

Hello,

Thank you lucasgg, for your answer, I'm thinking seriously about your answer, in fact the island in the center will divide the forefront in two parts because the tank has only 50 cm (large). So .... it's not a good idea.

Thank you keithgh, I really appreciate your honesty, and I will try to express what I would like to express with my scape :

I don't know why I like the idea of islands, but I would like to express something like that :

Entry #226: 330L Aquatic Garden: BEDROCK (AGA 2014) not able to put the link in my post (not enough posts according to forum system).

• Are sticks really important in this scape ?
    • I would like more space of free-sand between islands

I was trying to make perspective with the lines of the islands in my draft, maybe it's not a good idea to put stones in a line, not natural at all.

Thank you.

I'm going to update my profil information.

lucasgg likes this.
  5. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

Stones in a line are not natural. What keith showed above is a good example of an island aquascape. Focus in the center, and slowly decreasing focus/interest further from the focal point(which should never be dead center BTW). It also is unified and flows nicely.

keithgh likes this.
  6. isla

isla Aspiring Aquascaper

welcome on ASW .
    bienvenue .
    Auvergne must be an inspiring landscape , can you put pict of where you live ?
    everyone buy vulcano water ( auvergne water ) to fill his tank .
    have you consider rain water before buying a Ro water system ?
    you are in very good hand with keith and lucas .
    will follow your scape .

7. keithgh

terradelie

Thank you for your comments, you will learn very fast if you ask for advice or criticism on your aquascape I will always be very honest to the point you might not like it at all but and a very big but I will always give advice on what should be done and why.

Have a look at J Art's posting and note what his first post were and where he is now.

Its the old trade teacher in me I expect the best you can do not what you think you can do.

Read my Signature that is how I taught for 26 years.

8. terradelie

terradelie New Member

Isla, I live in northern Auvergne, those pictures will explain differences between scapes in Bourbonnais (where i live, northern Auvergne and Auvergne's Volcanoes, 1h30 road trip to the south). Auvergne is the administrative name of the Bourbonnais, but in term of scapes it is very different, Scape here is called "Bourbon bocage", "mixed woodland and pasture", the altitude of my city is only 207 meters ;-). Sometimes I go to the south, of course because volcanoes are very beautiful. By the way, i thought about rain water, but I fell more comfortable with osmosis (no surprise with water and other practical reasons..).
    [​IMG]

Thank you lucasgg for explaining the picture with words, I have now a better undertanding of what is a natural looking island.

Keithgh, very interesting progression with J Art example, can I do same : putting sand and stones in my tank (for drafts), or do I need cardboard (I was looking for a cardboard because wood box is not possible at the present time.

Another example of three islands I like : Entry #310: 558L Aquatic Garden: 迷情双涧谷
    this example is using stones lines, what is wrong about this scape according to you (I'm trying to have a really deep understanding of the problem, in order to check if I understand everything).

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  9. keithgh

terradelie

Cardboard is perfect as as long as its the tank size remembering its only temporary and also a good planning guide.

[​IMG]

Awards and Judge Comments
    Note no ranking or a complete report on that aquascape.
    Immediately I am thinking "WHY" is it that bad or could not be bothered spending a few minutes writing a report.

Using a Judges guide for a recent Aquascaping contest, I would rate that Aquascape as 60% which be considered as just average.

Please remember this is only a personal opinion.

It looks like three separate aquascapes in one tank placed side by side.
    From either left or right ends of the tank there is no steady eye flow.
    It does not keep the viewer saying what else is there in this tank and I want to go back and keep looking.
    It does not have great technical skills to create that Aquascape.
    As far as texture and colour nothing spectacular.
    DW placement particularly the right side reminds me of a tree lined road all in a straight line and evenly spaced, overall there is no perspective.

Let me put it this way its not a competition Aquascape but its someone effort and as long as they are happy and proud of what they have achieved that is the most important point of all.

Competition Aquascapes can be made two ways what you want or what the Judges want, if you are chasing awards you only have one way to go.

10. terradelie

terradelie New Member

Thank you for explaining me your analysis. Now I understand that it's important to give an eye steady flow using perspective, colors and textures. Of course being happy with what we achieve too.
    I'm no longer interested in islands with stones lines and last days I have been looking for inspiration with pictures of nature. I wanted a jungle looking with distincts plans, interesting plants textures, perspective and also stones and woods (I would like to use sticks now).

I will put a picture soon.

I cleaned all ohko stones yesterday.
    I almost finished my carboard box.

I'm looking for sticks but It's difficult to decide what sticks I need.

I'm also worried about 2 or three ohko stones that are cut in a very not natural looking way.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  11. terradelie

terradelie New Member

Ohko stones

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. terradelie

terradelie New Member

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  13. keithgh

terradelie

All of those pictures are going to be very challenging to create them into an Aquascape.

14. terradelie

terradelie New Member

Yes, it's too much difficult to create this picture, I think a natural model can help, but now I think this model is not helping because yesterday I was not happy spending 5 hours online in order to find materials to create it (too much difficult for sticks gravel etc., didn't find what I expected).

So I keep in mind my global impression, but I will not do the same thing.

I bought 4 sticks (between 70 and 100 centimeters) and malaya soil today. I will receive my command on thurdsay or friday ... I hope I bought interesting sticks ... It was very hard to choose online. I tried to bought sticks with different diameters in order to have something with perspective, and also I tried to choose sticks with curves but not too much curves ...

I'm so impatient to make my first draft with soil ! I will try to make something with my material. I hope I will be inspired.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  15. keithgh

terradelie

Never hurry its not worth it

This could be your big down fall, do every thing slowly and never be in a hurry this can cause more concerns that you did not see coming.

16. terradelie

terradelie New Member

Thank you

I'm taking my time ...

First try today

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
    TryHardDutchScaper likes this.
  17. terradelie

terradelie New Member

Better light

[​IMG]

Envoyé de mon SM-G901F en utilisant Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    keithgh likes this.
  18. keithgh

terradelie

[​IMG]

Personally I would like to see a little more height at the back RH corner reason being every thing is rather flat.

For planting all the pockets between the rocks can be filled with your substrate for planting.

19. terradelie

terradelie New Member

Plan aquarium.jpg

Thank you Keitgh

So, I'm going to add more soil, on RH corner, to elevate this part (encircled on the picture).

I would like to use LA PLATA SAND on different areas and gravels :

• big diameter LA PLATA SAND : light brown on the picture
    • small diameter LA PLATA SAND : light yellow on the picture
    • gravel or small stones pieces : little grey points.

According to you, what is the best choice ADA gravel (S) or breaking Ohkho Stones in small parts ?

I would like more details in this scape.

20. keithgh

terradelie

Scattered stones mixed with gravel would give it a more natural look.

I have used this Aquascape many times to explain the natural path method,
    [​IMG]

terradelie and jagermelifter like this.