1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Best Moss to Use?

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by ShadowMac, Jul 2, 2012.

1. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I'm looking for some suggestions on the best moss to use with manzanita branches. The branches will also have bolbitus ferns, possibly some H. pinnatifida. The layout will have a strong stem presence in the background and the center will comprise of a strong stone and wood feature with moss, ferns, pinnatifida, and anubias. The picture is a preview of what the hardscape will most likely look like set in a 90p (the blue border). Ignore the smaller stones...no critiquing their "unnatural" layout:mad:

The branches are amazing and I went through a giant number of possibilities with a bunch more pieces that didn't make this final cut. Thanks, to plantbrain aka Tom Barr for the wood. fan-figgin'-tastic pieces.

What moss would you like to see on here? Taiwan moss, willow moss (Fontinalis antipyretica), Christmas moss, fissidens fontanus? A combination? I have a bunch of fissidens so that would be easiest. Thoughts suggestions, please!?:D

2012-06-26 14.00.07.jpg
    2012-06-26 14.00.12.jpg 2012-06-26 14.00.07.jpg

Attached Files:

Sponsored link:

2. youjettisonme

youjettisonme Aspiring Aquascaper

I would say that it's unnecessary to mix mosses like Taiwan, willow, and Xmas, but you can certainly contrast one of those three with the fissidens to present a great look. If I had to choose from your choices, I would go fissidens/willow. If you happen to need some mini Xmas, let me know. I sell it pretty often but haven't in a few months so I have quite a bit on hand right now.

3. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Willow is a native moss to the uk and its very diffcult to look good, it always ends up looking a mess. I'd go for fissidens myself. What I would say is look at nature rather than other scapers when attaching moss, it grows at the bases of branches and roots where the water collects then spreads, not on the extremities like people tend to do.

4. ShadowMac

The first time I used moss I made the bad mistake of attaching to the ends of all my branches. It didn't look natural and really drove me nuts after our good friend plantbrain mentioned they looked like Dr. Seuss's lorax trees :eek:

I have used willow moss in the past and did find it difficult to use. It never looked quite right. It looks nice in itself, but did tend to look messy over time. Fissidens, I think, will definitely be used. I was thinking something in addition to it might help add some variation in texture to the wood.

How would the mini christmas moss look in contrast? youjettisonme, would you suggest mixing them in the same locations or one type some places and another in other places?

Mini pelia?

5. ShadowMac

P.S. bonus to googling moss varieties is a few random pics of Kate Moss :D

CatfishSoupFTW likes this.
  6. youjettisonme

Amano is heavy into willow moss as you can see if you read about his scapes. And unlike Garuf's observations, they use willow quite a bit at my local AquaForest and to good effect, managing to make it look pretty stellar. However, just like any moss, I think a lot depends on how you attach the moss to your branches from the start and its overall placement in your scape.

Fissidens will look quite a bit different from light source to light source, from uber compact to large and stringy. Even the same species of fontanus can look like 2 completely different plants, and I think it looks infinitely better under high light even though it's low-light flora. It is definitely a "base moss", and will look good as more of a substrate plant, but there's no reason you can't also make it look stellar on taller branches and stones if you take enough care in the placement. Fissidens fontanus on the very edge of wood? It wouldn't be a first choice, but I bet someone could make a good scape out of that element provided they patterned enough repeating elements.

7. youjettisonme

I made those Dr. Sues trees as well once upon a time. ;-)

Mini Xmas is a slow grower compared to regular xmas or Taiwan. Under the right light and CO2, it gets especially full and lush looking. Mini pellia? If you go that route, you will want to dry start or else be very talented with your wrapping skills. I really think MP begs to be chopped and dry-started though.

8. Garuf

Are we talking about the same willow moss? The stuff amano uses is called amazon willow moss or something similar in his books but isn't the uk native willow, it's what we call christmas moss.

I find willow to get very large and messy, fronds all over the place and doesn't respond well to trimming. Perhaps we're not thinking of the same moss.

9. youjettisonme

You know, I bet you're right. I agree completely on Xmas (what you are probably calling Willow). That stuff is out of control. Worse, try trimming it (which you'll have to do often) when you've forgotten to turn your filter off. Little bits will attach ever, and your whole tank will become a Xmas Tank Special. By contrast, the mini version of what I'm referring to is slow and steady, and also much more lush. Way easier to work with. And yes, what Amano calls "willow" is also a pretty slow grower, relatively speaking.

10. ShadowMac

This is the willow moss I have used and the only one I can find to purchase from a few different places. fontanalis hypnoids, it is for sale by AquaForest Aquarium, whom youjettisonme is referring to.

[​IMG]

11. ShadowMac

this doesn't look like the same moss and is a pic from ADA

[​IMG]

12. WabiKasuH20Fall

WabiKasuH20Fall Aspiring Aquascaper

I would suggest Mini Pellia via DSM. imo

13. JohnnyWales

JohnnyWales New Member

Where would you get that in the uk?

14. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

Get in touch with Edis or Luis from ASW staff, both are located in London.

15. JohnnyWales

JohnnyWales New Member

Thanks again, I seem to be ripped off on eBay weekly!

16. ShadowMac

I don't think I will have the time for a DSM as I will be taking down the existing scape and using the plants from it. Storing plants and keeping them healthy for the duration of a dsm start for the moss wouldn't work out well.

17. WabiKasuH20Fall

Mini pellia attaches to wood in about 4-5 days time, Jetti could probably back me up on this one. Starting today you could take your wood out, mince up the MP and toss it about the wood mist with water and cover/wrap with saran wrap put in partial sun window sill and mist daily, by next Wednesday enough of the MP will probably be attached enough to add to tank with out worry of separation. The stuff is like glue seriously, I achieved some amazing gravity defying adhesion with little specks of the stuff literally flicked against vertical faces and inverted rock outcroppings and wood pieces. But yeah if you are looking to do this in the next 48 hours your probably cutting it close.

I have though of starting a little hardscape priming/prepping area where I would keep a variety of Rocks and Wood with pre seeded/rooted arrangement of various mosses, i.e. Mini Pellia, Mini Xmas, Fissidens, Lrg Pellia, Flame Moss etc. all already growning attached via emersed DSM.

They you just have them on call for your rescaping needs.

18. ShadowMac

I have time to prepare the wood. I think I will swing by a hardware store and look for a large clear container. I plan to scrub the wood and soak it then I can work on some moss DSM within the container. I could place it on my patio in a shaded place.

So it is down to mini pelia or mini xmas moss along with the fissidens....part of me is still tempted to try that willow moss above again too. It looks so nice, I just haven't scaped with it well.

19. WabiKasuH20Fall

My vote is for MP it looks so unique like no other moss at all, technically I dont think it even is a moss but dont quote me on that. They call it coral moss too and I like that name because it does indeed look like a green coral and its growth pattern is quite lovely, like snowflakes. It really attaches surprisingly too to wood and rocks so as long as you have a 80-100% humidity on your DSM, especially on the wood as the wood tends to dry it out more. Really though I have seen Jetti's tanks first hanbd and the MP in his PRL tank is out of this world gorgeous and natural like no other.

I really encourage you to use this stuff, We have see lots of Mini x-mas tree like wood arrangements although we have yet to see what MP is capable of when utilized to its fullest potential. With proper moisture it will defy gravity and you can attach/sprinkle it into some great little nooks and crooks in your scape for some really dramatic little outcroppings

20. Garuf

You're correct, It's a liverwort, some people claim it's a fern gametophyte but there are actually a couple of very similar species out there so this is a misidentification.

Going back to the willow moss thing, I'm aware of my native and 3 others that call themselves willow moss and none of them are the one that Amano uses.

This is uk willow moss, Fontinalis antipyretica,
    [​IMG]