1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Best Algae Eaters for a Planted Aquarium

Discussion in 'AquaScaping World Magazine Discussions' started by John N., Apr 10, 2008.

1. rit

rit New Member

it depends on what type of algae in the aquarium because each fish/shrimp has different behavior. They like different kind of algae. i agree to use various types .

Sponsored link:

2. Norbert Sabat

Norbert Sabat New Member

My 3cents ;)

Otos - well, IMHO they eat mostly brown algae on rock, glass, plants. They eat green spot algae but only little so they don't clean greenish rock ;). I keep them but they aren't much useful...

SAE - many people says that they are lazy sometimes and they eat fishfood than BBA. Well... I had 2SEA in tank with rocks and some BBA on them (not so much). I removed SAE because i was thinking that they eat moss. What happend? 2weeks later beautifull BBA carpets on rocks ;)...

Amano shrimps - sometims algae eating beasts 8)...sometimes lazy son#%#@$!! :mad: IMO they are good for green algae on wood, hair algae (short) and some BBA if they hungry. I had 44l tank where 3amano shrimps clean big wood from GSA.....oh, i was forgot - in same time in that tank was 200-250 cherry shrimp (lazy, unusefull bastards)

Cherry shrimp - i think that sometimes they eat Cyano Bacteria - not much but if there is small cyano in tank they could help.

Neritina, clithon snails - i agree, they clean rocks but they don't like soft and acid water (specialy Neritina) so they can escape from tank :). Also big problem are snails eggs on rocks - this look terrible and inpossible to clean it in tank !!!

3. mitrandirPL

mitrandirPL New Member

imho the best algea eaters are dwarf shrimps. luckily I never had bigger problems with algae in my tanks. imo the best way to avoid algae is to have a stabilized tank-good water parameters parameters etc

4. rickylbc

rickylbc New Member

Can you mix Otto's with CRS and other shrimps?

5. trenac

trenac New Member

Otto's & shrimp go well together.

6. rickylbc

rickylbc New Member

Thank you, what about using fertilizer with the Otto's in the tank, can they tolerate it? I use KNO3, KH2PO4, K2SO4 and CSM+B. TIA

7. chillaquaplants

chillaquaplants New Member

I keep otos in just about every tank I own and I've never had a problem with this.

8. epicfish

epicfish New Member

+1. My otos are fine with my dosing.

9. rickylbc

rickylbc New Member

Thanks guys.. I appreciate all the info.

10. akmal

akmal New Member

Otos are fine with a large range of dosing just like any fish, however, shrimps might not tolerate large swings in the water chemistry...spreading out the dosing (smaller dose, more frequent) or lean dosing should be ok for them... :D

11. Herbie

Herbie New Member

What about Goodeids

Any thoughts about Goodeids as algae eaters? I'm surprised there has been no mention of them on this thread. I added 6 Ilyodon Lennoni to a neglected 10 gallon tank, the front of which was opaque with algae. It was 90% clean a day after adding the Goodeids. There was no subtrate at the bottom of this tank and I could see large amounts of green fish poop from all the digested algae.

Herbie (new to AquaScaping World, registered today)

12. CatfishSoupFTW

CatfishSoupFTW Aspiring Aquascaper

i have owned ottos before but they are too sensitive. snails do great, but the calcium deposites are annoying. plecos is almost like a myth when it comes to eating algae XD shrimp do fair. so do TRUE siamese algae eaters. But if its on my substrate or my class, a syphon or a razor blade . does just.

oh, one more thing. i find that a good level of co2 reduces algae :D

13. Rickus

Rickus New Member

I use 2x SAE's and 2 small plecos, my tank is really clean.

14. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

5 SAE :113:, of course good co2 injection and a kitchen sponge to clean the glass.

15. bowman

bowman New Member

3 ottos, 30+ cherry shrimp and my new pride and joy a Schwartz's Cory. No issues here

16. ghostsword

ghostsword Aspiring Aquascaper Staff Member

I think otos are the best. :) got about 10 on a 60 cm tank, amazing clean up crew.

17. downlinx

downlinx New Member

i love my 2 sae's and 2 bristlenose pleco's, they both do not uproot anything.

18. Peanut8787

Peanut8787 New Member

I would vote for a couple of SAE and oto. But personally i feel that once SAE grow big, they tend to be lazy and stop eating those algae..

19. Ashback

Ashback New Member

yeah, SEA when got mature they like more 'meat balls';) but young are pretty good on various type of algae, I used to got three and didnt find them agressive at least you are sure they are not 'flying fox'

personaly I prefer trumpet snails but not for high tech tanks with delicate plants like pelia
    I keep around 100-150 of this snails in my 60L 'Walstad method' with lots of Crypts,Vallis, ferns and anubias and as I got tank close to a window and 18OOOK tube its likly to grow not only plants but algae as well, but since I got this bounch of Trumpets I dont need to clean anything and do just bucket of water once a month as water change

they eat algae frome everwhere, every level of aquarium including surface,there is no fish can do it, this snails are so clever they can get between Juwel filter and glass and eat all green-brown debris , those who ever owned classic Juwel tank they should know what I am talking about;)

20. Peanut8787

Peanut8787 New Member

Correct, alot of LFS state flying fox as SAE. For those newbie who don't know how to see them apart, they will end up buying those flying fox that won't do anything at all...