1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Beginner looking for some advice on tanks

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by FellowApeman, Sep 15, 2008.

1. FellowApeman

FellowApeman New Member

I've been mesmerized by aquascaping for about a year now and am finally going to buy a tank and see what I can do. I've done a bit of research myself so that I at least know what to expect and I'm really looking forward to getting my hands dirty (or wet...).

So I decided to start with a small tank for now, something from 10-20g, and it's going to be an ADA because they look awesome. This has leaves me with either the 60-P or 45-P from what I can tell unless anyone has a suggestion for a beginner.

As for the layout that I want... I'm thinking of doing a sort of minimalist zen-style with mostly short grass-like plants and maybe a few hedge-looking ones for some depth, and some cool rocks or other hardscape.

My main concern with a smaller tank though, and my main question is, would fish be happy in either tank? If possible, I'd like to use the smaller 45-P because it's cheaper and I already have a cabinet that the tank would fit on top of (the 60-P is a little too big). Ideally, 5 or 6 small schooling fish would be great. Any recommendations for this? Or maybe a couple cichlids or something would be a better idea?

I don't know a great deal about any of this stuff yet but these forums looks like a nice place to learn!

2. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

I've personally think the ADA 60-P looks better than the 45-P. I would go with the 60-P since it's bigger, has more aquascaping room, and has the ability to house more fish. All key elements to a great planted aquarium for the home.

The 45-P I think is approximately 10 gallons by the looks of it. It's a good starter tank to get your hands into aquascaping, and from the description of your aquascape vision it will work. However, I'm sure if you're like most of us, you'll quickly outgrow that tank and want something larger. A 60-P is a good sized tank which I think you'll enjoy.

-John N.

3. FellowApeman

FellowApeman New Member

Thanks a lot for the reply!

I had been leaning towards the 60-P for the exact reason you mentioned - I'd rather spend a little extra money now so as to "future proof" myself in a way.

I am also seeking advice on a filter setup... ideally I'd like to use an external filter canister, to remove visual clutter from the top of my tank, as opposed to some sort of filter that hangs onto the side of it. I also realize the waterfall filters remove CO2 from the water which I understand is bad.

I like the look of the ADA filter glassware but can't really afford that sort of thing at the moment. Are there any other options that provide similar functionality, but are cheaper albeit less aesthetically pleasing?

4. Orlando

Orlando Supporting Member

There is a guy who sells acrylic pipes for not much money and they look pretty cool.
    I think is log name is Fishman? I will try to find a link for you.......

5. FellowApeman

FellowApeman New Member

so I was looking through the aape forums and found a thread about knock off lily pipes on ebay, saying they performed pretty well.

after some searching around, I think I might end up getting a set of glass lily tubes off of ebay. it seems much more affordable that way.