1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

"Banks of Amazon"

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by ghostmonk, Sep 13, 2011.

1. ghostmonk

ghostmonk Aspiring Aquascaper

"Banks of Amazon". Updated Sep 20.

This is my redo of my 90p. The inspiration was multiple scenes of the Amazon basin. The key thing I liked in them was the abundance of dead but upright trees that was stewn across the scene with patches of open area and areas of dense brush.

This is my effort to recreate a scene like that. I do not have much plants for this one though so I ordered (and am waiting) for most of it.

Tank: ADA 90p
    Filtration: Eheim Pro III
    Lighting: ADA Solar II 8hr/day
    CO2: Pressurized 30ppm during photo period (will be)
    Flora:
    - Myriophyllum mattogrossense
    - HM (yet to come)
    - M. umbroseum (yet to come)
    - Ludwigia inclinata green (yet to come)
    - Anubias nana petite
    - Mini taiwan moss
    - Fissidens fontanus (yet to come)
    Subtrate: ADA AS II
    Hardscape: River rocks, pebbles and cobbles, cosmetic sand

Rundown of the setup process. There were many temp stages so this was a multi day project.
    1. First a basic layout of the 2 banks I want to create. These are river rocks. I got multiple sizes to get a good mix of size and texture. This is temp just to access if the space left is sufficient to accomodate all the other hardscape that will need to fit in there.
    [​IMG]

2. No pictures for this step (multiple steps actually). All my driftwood will be placed vertically. So first I sawed the base of the bigger unstable pieces. I have a couple of 0.050 thick plexiglass sheets that will lay on the bottom and the driftwood will be super glued on them. I placed the plexiglass in the tank, traced the borders along the rocks and then placed the wood on it supported by some more rocks to get an idea on where and which direction each piece will sheet. For each one I drew a outline of the base on the plexiglass. This is for future reference when I start putting things together and also for gluing the bigger pieces.

3. At this stage couple of the main pieces are glued on top of one sheet that will be on the right side.
    [​IMG]

4. This one is another dry run with one of the larger stable pieces placed in between. Since things are moving in and out as I put them together piece by piece, these picture are helping me to keep track of what went where as I liked it.
    [​IMG]

5. The bigger pieces for the left side glued in place. Time to fill up the substrate before placing other driftwood.
    [​IMG]

6. I put the stones back in line and filled in the aquasoil (slightly moist to hold the slope and place while I am working). Once the soil is added, I placed the remaining driftwood.
    [​IMG]

7. After a while, removed the stones. The soil is still holding good. Now its time to start the real layout... meaning no more temp placements.
    [​IMG]

8. This is the first layer of rock. River pebbles. Medium to small size to create the base and hold the soil in place.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Mixed in some pea gravel to the river pebbles to get an even mix.
    [​IMG]

10.Placed the larger rocks at the end.
    [​IMG]

11. This is the final hardscape after filling with sand and some final finishing touches
    [​IMG]

Comments and feedback welcome.

2. Ed Villagracia

Ed Villagracia Active Aquascaper

i luv creepy look hahahaha just kidding.

hi ghostmonk i think your layout is great but i wish to see greens:Happy:

3. Kuni

Kuni New Member

I really like what you did with the multiple sizes of river pebbles. Now get some plants in there! The wood appears just slightly 'off' - you might try moving one of the pieces to the golden mean, or putting a focal plant there instead.

4. randy0319

randy0319 Aspiring Aquascaper

your hardscape is very well done and will only get better with the plants that you are going to put in. Good luck! It will be a great tank---R

5. Ed Villagracia

i agree....i think he refers to the smallest pieces of dw near the backside.
    put it closer together towards the left side and i guess match shorter will give a better look.mho.

6. fazyl

fazyl Aspiring Aquascaper

looks promising. very natural, like it!

7. vanscheck

vanscheck New Member

looking good, like a river bed

8. ghostmonk

Thanks everybody. Plants are expected to show up tomorrow so it will become green soon.:-"

Kuni - thanks for the suggestions. I usually do not try to maintain golden ratio or single focal point. I start with a nature scene I like and try to recreate it in whatever way it is in.

Mr_ed - I am not sure if I understood exactly what you said. The smaller pieces in between are not in the same horizontal plane as the bigger pieces on both sides. Those are to hopefully create some depth along the 'river'. Wouldn't clustering them on the left create an empty space in between?

Good points though everybody. Makes me think again. But I first want to do some planting and see how it looks before making any adjustments.

9. Ed Villagracia

now i understand your idea:113:

10. tirtha1979

tirtha1979 New Member

Very natural looking hardscape. You did a very good job with those pebbles. Will be waiting to watch the evolution. all the best.

11. kire.laz

kire.laz Aspiring Aquascaper

I must to admit- awesome work!
    I started with experimenting this technique (pebbles and round stones) last month and now I see much better way to do the job on right ways.
    Thanks!

12. ghostmonk

Thanks Tirtha. I have been following your Canyon scape as well that is coming out pretty neat.

Thank you! I have been thinking about the scapes with substrate and sand together. In most cases, for long term separation of the 2 I have seen use of moss covered rocks or other rocks in use. Wanted to try something different. I like the effect it gives and these are much easily available in most places than trying to get adequate amount of premium rocks.

13. chard

chard New Member

good hardscape! I can't wait to see your tank with water and plants so that we could see how the pebbles and DWs look like when wet. :)
    I would love to see mosses and small plants on your tank. Good luck!:)

14. ghostmonk

Thank you all. This is an update as of 1 week after planting. The moss is not in yet but all the stems are in. I want it more bushy but need to wait for these to grow when I can trim and replant them. Since I had the fish already in my bigger tank and the filter media also was being used there, I could add the fish right away and they are doing just fine over the last week. Roseline sharks and Albino neon tetras (other than algae crew).

Tank already needs some TLC but that has to wait till the weekend.
    [​IMG]

15. plantbrain

plantbrain Aspiring Aquascaper

The hardscape including the rocks are well done. Good to glue the pieces to the glass slats.

I would explore different plants, maybe more grass like leaves........

16. ghostmonk

Thanks Tom. I have bacopa myrio (sorry always forget the spelling) in my other tank that has needle leaves. I am experimenting with both types (small whorly leaves only and needle leaves) to see which one works out (better) eventually when they are trimmed and shaped. I'll switch around and improvise as it proceeds.

For now though, I would like to keep my initial choice intact and see how it plays out.

Thanks for the suggestion though.