1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Back pain

Discussion in 'The Aqua Lounge' started by ShadowMac, Dec 8, 2010.

1. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I planted a ton of hair grass yesterday and all the bending over, pulling apart roots, leaning over my tank and then planting has killed my back!

any of you experience back pain after working on your tank for a while? How do you avoid it? maybe there is a more efficient way to do things.

I'm guessing maybe i should pull apart all roots before planting then plant everything, not switch between the two tasks. That way i can sit down for half of it.

2. Orlando

Orlando Supporting Member

You need an inversion table! 10 minutes everyday will increase your lifespan and increase improved brain function. I wont live without one, ever.

3. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

My brother wants an inversion table for christmas. I thought it was another health-fanatical thing of his...maybe santa will be kind to him this year then...;)

For aquariums, there's really no way around it but lots of "TV breaks" every 10 minutes or so.

Without question it helps speed up the process if you prepare your plants i.e. line them up ready to plant from the start either by laying them out on the substrate or on your work table.

I have some back pain and shoulder pain every so often from playing tennis for long stretches. The serving does a wallop on your back and side. Pop a few pills of aspirin and you'll be breathing easy. :proud:

-John N.

4. ShadowMac

inversion table!? never heard of it. I'm still a young guy and an ex college athlete so i'm in decent shape, but never spent so much time bending over and over and over.

I will have to look into this inversion table. maybe I will use it while taking aspirin and planting :loco:

5. Orlando

Orlando Supporting Member

Im also young'ish;) But I have been using them starting from the age of 21. I to was an athlete most of my life riding as a professional cyclist traveling the globe. I know for a fact that these things will help in so many ways.

These things should be a regular household item like your refrigerator.

6. ShadowMac

now i really have to check it out.

7. Anti-Pjerrot

Anti-Pjerrot New Member

I planted hairgrass for 8 hours straight at Art of the Planted Aquarium 2007. That was a pain in the back...

But when not under pressure. Take 5 every 10 minutes and try to have all stuff within reach so you don't have to twist your upper body.
    I usually separate the roots for a portion that takes 10 minutes to plant, the put it on a plate that stands on the edge of the tank and then just plant away.

8. tenshu

tenshu New Member

Try to do it "ADG style" :D

[​IMG]

9. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

I borrowed my Dads back belt, a heavy duty leather strap and that worked a treat at reducing it as it keeps your back straighter and doesn't tense your muscles out as badly.

10. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Tenshu, now that's what I call a (man) fish! :=D>

-John N.

11. ShadowMac

He needs a suspension harness and some mission impossible music