1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Baby Tears, BEst way to grow them?

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by Ocampo, May 3, 2011.

1. Ocampo

Ocampo New Member

I've been hearing alot about how baby tears are better grown outside of water because of the larger c02 consumption, I just wanted to know if that is the best way to do it?

2. aquaphish

aquaphish New Member

OK there are many plants that go by the name baby tears. If you are asking about Hemianthus callitrichoides then this is the way I did my tank.

I would put all the hardscape into the tank that will be setting on the surface of the substrate. Make sure your substrate is smooth, and level with no noticable dips in it where water will pool at.

Once you have that done you can add just enough water to cover the substrate. Do not put so much water that it actually places the substrate below the water.

After that recheck to see if there are any puddles of water. If there is then just smooth them out. Now take small plugs of the HC, about 3-5 leaves and with a set of small tweezers just push them into the substrate. This will take some time so make sure you have plenty of time, yes up to several hours.

Once that is done fill a spray bottle with water and give the HC a good shower. Now cover the tank with some plastic wrap like the kitchen wrap stuff.

Make sure you have enough lighting for the HC to grow. Keep the lights on for about 10hours and up to 12 if you want. You should see the humidity build up in a few hours.

Now wait for about a three weeks to upto 6weeks for your HC to grow and fill in. After that you can fill your tank with water and start to enjoy completing your aquascape with other plants and fish.

3. ghostmonk

ghostmonk Aspiring Aquascaper

I grow my HC submerged (and started that way). It is somewhat slow than emersed but not a whole lot and I personally like to see it gradually fill in. Plenty of CO2 and light required although I my photo period is only for 7 hours with a 2 hr noon burst.

One thing about HC is to trim them regularly to keep them spread out instead of lumped on top.

4. Sonny

Sonny New Member

Guys, what about algae problems after filling the emersed tank with water? As we all know, plants from emersed grow need some time to adapt to water again, and I am affraid that in that period algae might attack.

Did you have any problem like that?

5. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Algae is a sign of too much light and not enough flow/co2, make sure you have plenty of the later and there should be no issues at all.

6. ghostmonk

ghostmonk Aspiring Aquascaper

Even with a submerged start you have the same things to consider as they grow relatively slow. Algae outbreak will depend upon the balance between light, co2 and nutrients. Towards the beginning of the submerged state go lower light, high co2 and moderate fertilization and gradually balance them.