1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Aurora project.

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Aurora, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Aurora

Aurora New Member

PhotoGrid_1459271264742.jpg here are a few quick snaps of my tanks.
    I waited too long to plant my plants and they didn't go in at their best but I think they are making a come back as they establish.
    I've had 1 birth in the big tank which was a lovely surprise, and my fighter has been busy making a nest in his tank (smaller one) I am still waiting on some plants for the smaller tank. But over all I'm super happy with how they turned out.

keithgh and ShadowMac like this.

Sponsored link:

2. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

First rule for easy planted tanks: Plant heavily at first. I'd personally get a lot more to avoid any future algae outbreaks.

Aurora and Orlandog7 like this.
  3. Orlandog7

Orlandog7 Aspiring Aquascaper

Floating plants would also help against algae no? Even if they are temporary; just there until the rooted plants build mass? Either way, I will plant heavily from the start as @lucasgg suggests.

4. J Art

J Art Aspiring Aquascaper

Agree with @lucasgg & @Orlandog7. Still fun to experiment and learn about the hobby though. Keep at it. What have you learned most so far? Have you noticed any pearling yet? That was the coolest thing for me to see after I planted.

5. Orlandog7

Orlandog7 Aspiring Aquascaper

Now that the tank is flooded with water... I'm not familiar with that substrate you are using but a lot of people here use ADA Aquasoil and during the initial week, you must do 50% water changes to avert green water algae. Your substrate seems nutrient rich so it would probably be a good idea to do frequent water changes initially to avert any problems. Also, what is your photoperiod? Watts and time?

6. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Aurora

You are on the right track take things slowly and learn as you progress.

If you are happy with what you have done and learning as your go that is the most important thing in having Aquarium tanks.

Keith:cat::cat:

ShadowMac likes this.
  7. Aurora

Aurora New Member

Thanks for all your replies! I've learnt a lot. But sadly I came down this morning to two dead fish : ( I'm devastated. The baby fish are still fine but no idea why the adults died. The dip test was all perfect.
    I've taken out that grass. No point trying to bring it back. I've taken your advice on board and will plant heavily with replacement plants. My fighters tank has been spot on and I'm happy with it.
    @J Art what do you mean Pearling?

Once my new plants arrive I'll post a pic.

8. J Art

J Art Aspiring Aquascaper

When photosynthesis occurs, the plants release little bubbles of oxygen back into the water that float up to the top. It's pretty cool considering the light is shining down on the plants to create energy and they release the product back up towards the light. Check it out on youtube, there's a bunch of videos. It's very meditative to watch.

lucasgg likes this.
  9. keithgh

Aurora

Pearling photos for you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope this helps you.

10. Aurora

Aurora New Member

11. keithgh

Aurora

Some members are experts at heavy pearling their plants.
    J Art you can get some fantastic photos from Pearling.

12. Aurora

Aurora New Member

20160406_183133.jpg I took out the grass. It wasn't taking. I've ordered some more and will plant heavily as advised. I also got round to tieing the miss to the branches in the fighters tank!
    20160406_183154.jpg 20160406_183147.jpg
    I found snails in the big tank but I have no idea how they got there!!
    20160406_125547.jpg 20160406_125602.jpg
    I'm not honestly sure what to do with them. I don't want 6 to turn into 600!!! And I don't want them to eat my plants.
    What do you suggest?
    Also look!!...this can't be Pearling can it?
    20160406_154341.jpg 20160406_154347.jpg 20160406_154447.jpg

I'm having so much fun with this hobby. Despite a few set backs I'm not discouraged. I only wish I had the room to do more with what I've got.

keithgh, J Art and ShadowMac like this.
  13. keithgh

Aurora

That is what I like to hear as long as you have that attitude you will leant far more as you prograss.

Watch those little bubbles and you should see them starting to rise.

Once a member identifies that snail you will know what can be done.

It possible came with the plants.

14. Aurora

Aurora New Member

Thanks x

keithgh likes this.
  15. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

yes, the snail came with the plants. Looks like a common pond snail, many planted tanks end up with them unless you take precautions. They are not harmful to your plants, but can become a bit of a nuisance as their population grows. I like to use assassin snails to keep them in check.

the bubbles on your stones is technically pearling...but its algae that is growing. With the low plant density and higher light you could be looking at lots more of it. Are you running any type of CO2 supplementation? Pressurized?

If not I would recommend reducing your light. Either raising it up higher or shortening the duration. Green algae is a sign of light in the upper ranges and without CO2 things could end up covered in algae. Adding lots more plants will be a good idea, pick easy to grow ones like crypts, E. parvula if you want a grass, most hygrophila species, some ludwigia species, hygro difformis (water wisteria)...there are a bunch of them. The sooner the tank is densely planted and growing well the less likely algae will be a problem. At least back off the light until you get it fully planted. no more than 6 hours a day...no less than 4.

16. keithgh

Aurora

I personally like natural algae growing on rocks it gives your tank the aged look depending on your inhabitants its a natural food for many.

17. Aurora

Aurora New Member

Keith you and I agree on that! I really like the green rocks! So natural looking.

18. keithgh

Aurora

It gives it a naturally aged look about your Aquascape it also gives it another interesting character/feature to look at.

19. Aurora

Aurora New Member

It certainly does.

I have had a wee house moving for the fish. They have now swapped tanks. The fighter was being aggressive and killed the shrimps for fun. So he is in the bigger tank now and the guppies in the smaller.
    20160411_170458.jpg 20160411_172106.jpg 20160409_114513.jpg

20. keithgh

Aurora

Betta's are great jumpers, if he can see food in another tank next to him he will jump into that tank.

To stop that either add a lid or a vinyl sheet on his tank so he cannot see into the tank next to him.