1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Asking regarding DIY Co2

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by raijin, Jul 11, 2017.

1. raijin

raijin New Member

Hi All

I am new to aquascaping, i would like to ask regarding DIY Co2 (sugar+yeast).

I am setting the diy co2 (1-2 bps) and put valve on it so that i can turn it off at night. I setup another valve to the tank and turn it on in the morning vice versa

Question i would like to ask advice is
    1. When i turn it off at night, i open another valve and let the co2 gas out into the room. Is it safe
    2. Is there another method without letting the co2 gas into the room?

Thanks

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

raijin

Seeing you are new to Aquascaping and would like to start a DIY Co2. My only advice I can offer at the moment to you would be learn as much about Aquariums and Aquascaping as you possible first, then think about buying a quality unit which will be far easier to set up and, more reliable to run.

DIY units can be made providing you know exactly what you are doing.

Keith :cat::cat:

3. raijin

raijin New Member

Hi Keith,'

Thanks for the advice. But pressure Co2 cost alot and not on my budget that's why i would like to try diy co2.

4. jordimex

jordimex New Member

I am fairly new to this hobby and if you look around here you can see that many people state that diy is more expensive in the long run you can check out the ista co2 equipment which is good and not so expensive

5. keithgh

Raijin

Yes a quality Co2 unit is not cheap that is why I mentioned learn about Aquariums first then you will understand the DIY units more.

I am only speaking from many years of experience re DIY Co2 in Aquarium Forums.

Keith:cat::cat:

6. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

The bottle should be able to hold the pressure of the CO2 without having to vent to the room. The other thing is that since DIY yeast CO2 is not a strong source of CO2, you could simply let it into the tank 24/7. If your tank is not very small <5 gallons it is very unlikely there will be any negative consequences from this. It would also give you the best chances of reaching a decent CO2 level.

You should look up the citric acid method of DIY CO2 as it is much more reliable. You should be able to simply close off the bottles here too and do not need to vent to the room.

FYI venting to the room is completely safe. Its a small amount of CO2 and these types of reactions are taking place all around us in the natural world.

7. raijin

raijin New Member

Hi Shawn

Thanks for the advice. I would research and understand more before i try it. I am just starting DSM HC Cuba, might took 5 weeks before i install my DIY Co2. But i would like to understand and prepare in advance, and asked for help and advice here and there.

My tank is 10 gallons, if i let it inside tank and timer off my wave maker at night. Will it worked without having to vent it into the room

Thank you

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  8. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I'm not sure what you are asking. You will not need to do anything different between day and night with DIY yeast CO2. It is a low output method. You will have trouble growing HC with DIY CO2. I would recommend monte carlo instead.

You do not need to vent the CO2 to the room. It will not create enough pressure to be a problem. It also does not create so much CO2 where you need to prevent it from entering the tank when the lights are off.

9. Culprit3

Culprit3 Aspiring Aquascaper

If you want cheaper diy co2 look up paintball co2. Just don't make a diy regulator, spend the money on a decent regulator/solenoid. Trust me, it will save you tons of hassle.

10. keithgh

raijin

That is the best way do all your research first and calculate all the initial costing plus the running costs.

One warning when researching the WWW is full of information many experienced Co2 users would call totally incorrect.

11. raijin

raijin New Member

Hi Keith,

Any tips that you can share with me :D? After some research, I think i will use the DIY Co2 with Citric Acid and Baking Soda. Till i save enough budget for bigger aquarium and pressurized CO2

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  12. keithgh

raijin

What part of Aust are you from?

I thought about a DIY Co2 long before they were fashionable. I had all the help I wanted from an Aquarium fish importer who also was a water chemist. I never did and never regretted it. If this is the case for you getting a quality unit and a big tank later. My advice is still the same get experienced with Aquascaping first go Low Tech its cheaper (Saving more money) and still have a very good low tech tank.

Keith :cat::cat:

13. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

Cylinder CO2 all the way if you can afford the initial setup cost.
    If you do go down the non DIY route ignore the running costs of the CO2 otherwise you may not use the CO2 to it full potential. Great tip I got from another scapers post.

Sent from Mountolympus via neural interface

keithgh likes this.
  14. keithgh

Zeus

Unless raijin buy's sight unseen online the costs in Aust could be rather expensive. If I knew where he is located I might be able to help him more.

15. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

True, lots of CO2 refill places here within a short drive.

Sent from Mountolympus via neural interface

16. keithgh

Zeus

Where we live the larger BBQ bottles cannot be filled its exchange only reason being too many people were using old and unsafe bottles.

I am not sure about the small Co2 bottles used for Aquariums.

17. John Whatmough

John Whatmough New Member

Before going DIY on this ,consider something like a Nutrafin kit by Fluval ,it's something George Farmer used in his earlier aquascaping days,less room for error than setting up something your unsure of

18. keithgh

John
    Is the unit you are referring too?
    Do you have this unit?

19. John Whatmough

John Whatmough New Member

That's the one Keith, I have not used it but read in a George Farmer write up in PFK magazine about pros and cons of CO2 in the aquarium from canister aerosols,liquid carbon and yeast based CO2 as well as CO2 pressurised gas. He mentions having used the Nutrafin in his early days with good resulting plant growth, the negatives are it's hard to control measured CO2 added as opposed to say a pressurised system. As raijin wants to try this method thought as its a ready to go kit probably easier than trying DIY something without enough knowledge of it.

20. yudagas

yudagas Aspiring Aquascaper

In my opinion citric acid is the best way to provide Co2 in DIY way, if you affraid to offer flow your tank with Co2 consider buy a good control valve and make sure no leak. Don't waste your precious diy co2 haha

Sent from my Lenovo A6020a46 using Tapatalk