1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Art and Creation: A Visit to the ADA Nature Aquarium Gallery

Discussion in 'AquaScaping World Magazine Discussions' started by John N., Oct 16, 2010.

1. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

2. Steven Chong

Steven Chong Aspiring Aquascaper

This August really WAS damn hot. Also, this article really takes me back to the first time I went to the gallery, seeing as I also got completely lost and ended up getting directions from a guy who said he was Amano's nephew.

3. BJRuttenberg

BJRuttenberg New Member

ADA Adventure

Steven, you post made me laugh! The gallery is way too difficult to find. I think the ADA Nature Aquarium Gallery Website says something like: "from Niigata station, take X train or Y bus to the ADA NA Gallery" What it neglects to mention is that both bus and train go in northern and southern directions and make multiple stops between Niigata station and the NA Gallery stop.

By the Website directions I figured the proper stop would be self evident...but no, it was about as clear as black.

4. Steven Chong

Steven Chong Aspiring Aquascaper

Yeah, the first time I went to the gallery me and my Dad took the bus and got dropped off at this little shack. On the way back to Niigata city, we ended up waiting in that little shack for half an hour waiting for the bus as it POURED outside. Now every time I drive to the gallery (and I've had to make that trip quite a few times because of the IAPLC event, and other guests wanting to hang out), I look for that little shack as my reference point. :p

At least Maki is on the 116, which also runs by my house so even if it's a long drive it's relatively easy for me to find now.

5. George Farmer

George Farmer Aspiring Aquascaper

I really enjoyed this article. You conveyed the excitement and experience very well. Thanks for sharing.

6. Bunbuku

Bunbuku New Member

To my eyes, BJ's pictures in this issue suggests that compared to his past work, Amano's recent compositions gotten more "wild" and less "scaped"... if you know what I mean.

His previous scapes look natural but the "hand of man" is still evident. These pictures convey something more untamed.

For those of you who remember Chinese calligraphy (Steven?), he is seems to be communicating more than just the meaning of the character.

7. BJRuttenberg

BJRuttenberg New Member

@George Farmer: I'm happy to have shared my experience with you and am glad you enjoyed the article. My only hope is that my conveyance does some justice to the true wonder of the Gallery.

@Bunbuku: I totally agree with you regarding the "wildness" of the more recent aquascapes. I really tried to pick out a few of the uniquely inspired scapes where Amano seemed to be pushing his creative boundaries. Lets hope he comes out with a new book sometime soon!

8. Ben Belton

Ben Belton New Member

Very nice article. When I was there in 2005, I thought the aquascapes were awesome, but looking back at my pictures, they were boring compared to what he does these days and what is in your pictures.

Glad you got to go. Japan is a wonderful place. They people are unreal amazing friendly. Sucks about the events of the last few days. They are very industrious people. They will bounce back better than ever.

9. BJRuttenberg

BJRuttenberg New Member

Ben, when you say they're kind you're not doing them justice. I had one woman restauranteur walk me two city blocks to another store when I asked if she served soba at her establishment!

It is a tragedy what is currently happening there though.