1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Are shrimp sensitive to light?

Discussion in 'Shrimp and Invertz' started by Slyjester, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Slyjester

Slyjester New Member

2/13/13

Are shrimp sensitive to light? One of my shrimps won't come out from hiding until I shut off the lights. It just recently molted - would that affect it in any way? The other shrimp don't mind the light at all.

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

They tend to be shy after molting as they are more vulnerable. Also, you do have a betta in there. He may pick at them so they will learn to hide or be eaten.

mumushummus likes this.
  3. Alexander Azizov

Alexander Azizov New Member

+1
    this is not a sensitivity issue, this is natural prudence :)

4. Slyjester

Slyjester New Member

Thanks guys. I've been actively monitoring the tank and the shrimp finally came out from hiding. I just received 9 Crystal Red Shrimp and I think that has helped (probably because they see other shrimp in the tank). I'm fascinated by them. I can sit there and watch them walk around and graze all day.

5. Igor Kanshyn

Igor Kanshyn New Member

Shrimps doesn't like light. You can easily notice, just turn on light and you will see how shrimps are coming down from plants. Babies are more freely walking though a tank in night.
    However, light is not a big problem for them. Intensive light in aquarium good for shrimps keepers, because shrimps will be more colorful in a tank filled with light.

6. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

This is not the case in any of my tanks. When the lighjts come on they do come off the plants however they move to the front of the substrate where the food normally lands and tend to wait there for me :)

I have 11 working tanks with shrimp at the moment and ll behave like this.

Like Slyjester says, I can sit in front of my tanks for silly amounts of hours and my wife thinks i am getting very old and boring . lol