1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Are Canister Filters a MUST for a Planted Tank?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by John N., Dec 6, 2010.

?

1. Yes.

31 vote(s)
    28.7%
  2. No.

41 vote(s)
    38.0%
  3. It depends.

36 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Let's discuss. :-?

-John N.

Sponsored link:

2. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

Yep, less equipment in your tank
    However, HOB filters are an option for nano tanks

3. Frosties

Frosties New Member

IMO, I think it is wholey budget dependent. The flow rate and water volume turnover is the most important factor.

4. ianho

ianho Aspiring Aquascaper

I have to say no on this one. I have a Juwel tank with the internal still in, it's in because when i got the tank my little one was at the crawling stage and i couldn't afford 50g of water on the floor, if he'd played around with the external filter. I have ran this tank for a year now and had no problems. I am going to change it to an external soon though.

5. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

I think its a bit of an ambiguous question really.

Is it a must in terms of necessity? No. The scapes that use internals or other filters prove that wrong.

Is it a must in terms of benefit. Well not a must but definately more beneficial than internals in terms of aesthetics, media capacity etc.

However the latest research Tom Barr has done comes out in favour of wet/dry filters over cannisters in terms of CO2 and O2.

AC

6. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

I don't even think it is needed for planted tank, especially if you do not have fauna inside. The plant do need flow but that can be accomplished using powerhead or wavemaker.

Dead material/leaf can easily be siphon during weekly water change. Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate will be use by plant during photosynthesis. Whatever left over will be reseted during weekly water change. So I wonder if filter is really needed

7. Frosties

Frosties New Member

Shadow makes an interesting point here... has anyone ever made a tank without a filter? Just using powerheads?

8. hamza

hamza Aspiring Aquascaper

I am quite relieved after I started using my home-made canister for three things...

1) It holds quite a lot of media and needs very little maintenance.
    2) obviously saves good space inside a tank
    3) I can put more bioload to the tank(yes, strangely I like a big bunch of fishes in my tank), because it can handle it without choking at all.

This is w.r.t an internal filter.

@AC...sounds interesting, can you link us to the Tom's wet/dry research post.

@Robert...we atleast need a filter initially after setting up the tank first(even for a fishless tank) to clear up all the floating particles or cloudy water.

9. Veryl

Veryl New Member

I've been running external pumps into spray bars and using power heads with aqua clear powerhead attachments as mechanical filters for the last 10 years. co2 24/7 always have some algea various types, do 50% water changes weekly without fail. Turnover is varies from tank to tank 5 to 10 times per hr. I am at a point where i either go with a bio filter or shut down my co2 at night. Sick of seeing all these algea free scapes although mine don't show that much algea i know it is there. % tanks totaling 460 gals. Maybe a central filter using overflows keeping the mechanical filters.

10. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

Ermm.....Someone quite 'famous' called Diana Walstad. Originally just the plants filtering however these days she follows the same rules as other planted setups (from what I am led to believe in regards to needing some circulation/flow within the tank.

I believe (and don't quote me) that she now uses powerheads for circulation whilst still using the plants/substrate/other bacteria colonising as 'filtration'.

Wouldn't interest me going that far as water clarity is of the utmost importance to me to the point that I would not be without purigen in my filters. I want gin clear. The filter isn't really there fo other means, just to keep my water 'invisible'.

New YSI CO2 optical monitor, similar to Oyxguard - Aquarium Plants

AC

11. J House

J House Moderator Staff Member

The short answer is of course no, since it's been proven you don't need one to have a successful tank.

With that being said I think the canister remains the most practical way to keep equipment out of the tank which for me, if we are talking aquascaping is an absolute must. I personally don't want any equipment especially powerheads all over the place only to be removed for a perfect shot. I want to enjoy the setup all the time, which would require minimal visible equipment.

On a functional side, I think the traditional filter is much more important during startup. It allows a place to put organic removal media, etc to aid in biofiltration until the 'real' biofilter gets up to speed. Once this happens, in most setups the bulk of the filtration is taking place in the tank and the filter becomes more or less a flow device with mechanical filtration.

12. Frosties

Frosties New Member

I do the same myself!

13. doubleott05

doubleott05 New Member

the simple answer is no. they dont need canister filters.

14. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

I´ve been doing this on a nano, powerhead only, 50%wc every other day and I was ok with EI dosing, plenty Co2 and light. But as I switched to weekly wc Glosso turned mad and I became algae issues.

15. crf529

crf529 New Member

I'd say it depends, mainly around what fish call the tank home and the number of them..

16. Jdinh04

Jdinh04 New Member

I didn't know much about canister filters until I got into the planted aquarium hobby. Back then, I was using HOB filters for quite sometime until I came across canister filters. I think in the long run, canister filters are more economical and suitable for larger tanks.

17. randy0319

randy0319 Aspiring Aquascaper

And thank god for DIY quilt batting filter media, and external heaters, plus external CO2 diffusers...all hooked into the cannister hoses...that is another good reason for cannisters.

18. PeterB01

PeterB01 New Member

We all know: your filter is the basic need for an good functioning aquarium. The bigger the use of filter mass, the bigger the stability.... Not everybody do have a lot of room for place an 1:1 open biologic filter system and has to works with a more handy system like a canister or hang on filter system or what so ever...... :yo:

19. Barbarossa4122

Barbarossa4122 New Member

As a former heavy HOB user I think canisters are a must.

20. Fuwari

Fuwari New Member

Maybe yes or may be no, depend on budget and how big is ur tank, if it's nano, HOB is easier,if u got more money,u can rethink of canister