1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Aquatic moss

Discussion in 'Ripariums & Paludariums' started by janey, Jan 10, 2014.

1. janey

janey Aspiring Aquascaper

Hi
    I have small pieces of phoenix,spiky,mini taiwan and brazil moss. Also some Brazilian Micro Sword *lilaeopsis brasiliensis*. Been trying to attach the little boggers to fine mesh most of today!:rolleyes:

Are any of these okay for growing out of water but on damp substrates in a humid environment? Thinking of mounting some of the mosses on bogwood. I'd like to use the micro sword at the water margin, roots in water but leaves in the air.
    Not sure if they will survive and don't want to lose any!

Thanks!:)

2. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Janey, All the plants will grow well in a humid environment :D The Lilaeopsis brasiliensis will take some time to get going best just to plant 3-5 blades a few cm apart this way they will send out runners and fill in the space:rolleyes: This Works better than one big clump in a small space (y)
    At the waters margins it will look like water rushes Nice idea. Hope all go's well (y)

3. greenfinger 2

Hi Janey, Had a though I have some growing :D The plant on the LH side is Lilaeopsis Bras -Middle one -Java fern-RH side cryp pava- And the small one at the front HC Cuba And some moss :) One top shot 002.JPG

keithgh likes this.
  4. janey

Roy - so it is possible! YAY! :D Yours look to be growing very well and so happy looking. This is brilliant...very good to know. (y)
    I got carried away buying the aquatic mosses and only when they arrived I realised I only had one aquatic jar on the go that was not going to be able to house them all. I am always ten steps ahead of myself! :rolleyes:
    So for now they are in clear containers trying to be patient (like me!) while we wait till next week when I get my hands on the clay substrate!
    I like your idea to use the lileaopsis as small rushes at the waters edge, will definitely use that tips. Thanks for all your input - much appreciated.:)

5. greenfinger 2

Hi Janey, You can grow most aquatic plants like this :rolleyes: Its a good way to propagate plants and helps to keeps the cost down :D
    Sometimes it can take a month or so for the plants to get going:whistle: That's where the patients comes in handy but thinking ahead is a good thing some of my W-K i plan weeks ahead then they can take two -three months to look at there best then its just trimming and tending to there needs :)

6. janey

I think my big challenge will be to learn to be patient and not over plant in my haste to get a finished result! :rolleyes:

That's really interesting about being able to propagate most aquatic plants this way. Just last night I read that many aquatic plants originated as bog plants so this makes sense. So one would just keep them in a humid environment? Would they need misting or fertilizing at all?
    If I mount the mosses on soaked logs today and put them in a tank with some water in the base, with a lid on it, they might like that more than soaking in water. Going to give it a try!(y)
    Thanks Roy - this is top info for a newb!:)

keithgh likes this.
  7. greenfinger 2

Hi Janey, The moss will attach itself to the DW in a few weeks :D One thing plant the moss on the DW as you want it to look in your W-K as i have planted the DW the wrong way up before:eek: Moss & Other plants will need some ferts just add a few drips into the misting bottle:) But i do add fert tabs to the substrate that the plants grow in Then just mist as needed ;) Good luck with your plants (y)Happy times ahead :D

8. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Janey

I will leave this one to Roy I can see you are in very capable hands already.

One massive tip with any form of aquascaping "Never be in a Hurry" some plants can take ages to settle into a new environment and once they do many can grow faster than weeds.

Over planting is a very common mistake in the end yo have to do a lot of thinning and could often have bare patches where the plants should have grown into.

Remember "Less is often best"

Keith:):)

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  9. janey

Thanks Keith, I will try to practise not being in a hurry - a real downfall of mine!:oops: I think I am already being taught a little lesson in that I have to wait...and wait to lay my hands on the clay for planting!:rolleyes::whistle:

We (me & my long suffering hubby!) decided to go to Kent to collect it on the weekend when he is free. That way we can spend more time foraging about on the beach. I managed to lure him to go with me with the idea of a mini fossil hunt!;)

Meantime I am champing at the bit! lol. But the positive is it is forcing me to plan ahead! If the clay was here I would be rushing ahead impulsively in my usual manner. As it is not here I'm using the time to think carefully, make a few rough drawings, research more about the plants I'm thinking of using.

I have also started to attach moss to some branches and rocks dry method style. A small beginning, but keeps me occupied at night. I'm loving the learning curve though! Thanks to Roy, you and Evelyn for your guidance and insight!:)

keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.