1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Aquascaping tools

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by mexicat, Apr 23, 2017.

1. mexicat

mexicat Aspiring Aquascaper

Anyone in the U.S. know an affordable set of scissors / tweezers that don't rust easily? I've seen some people say the cheap ones on ebay aren't real stainless steel.

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

mexicat

They are possibly SS but a very cheap low grade. Its the old saying you only get what you pay for.

Some of the expensive sets you are only paying for the name. Go to any store that sells dress making materials and accessories and you will possibly the same scissors at a fraction of the cost and only buy the ones you will actually use.

Keith:cat::cat:

3. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Moderator Staff Member

No idea about the US market but you can't go far wrong with Tropica or JBL; they both represent good value for money.
    If you're only going to buy one pair I'd recommend you buy S-shaped scissors and a good pair of straight tweezers.
    It's not just the stainless steel you're paying for its the balance, the comfort of use, and most importantly the sharpness of the cutting edge. You need a pair that will actually cut instead of crush to keep plants healthy.
    http://tropica.com/en/plant-care/scissors-and-tweezers/scissors-25-cm/
    http://tropica.com/en/plant-care/scissors-and-tweezers/tweezers/

4. keithgh

Mexicat

Tim has given you some very good advice.

Please beware of cheap copies or as good as, deal directly with Tropica or JBL

After watching the videos its easy to see they are quality tools.

Tim Harrison likes this.
  5. Orlandog7

Orlandog7 Aspiring Aquascaper

I bought a pair of angled tweezers from eBay shipped from Hong Kong. Paid $2.00. had them for a year no issues. I already have a good pair of straight scissors from Amazon $15.00. after each use I wipe them dry. I've had good experiences with the "cheap stuff" from eBay and intend to try out some curved scissors from eBay. I feel often times we are misled into buying name brand when the cheap stuff will do just as well. In terms of substrate leveler, I use paint brushes from 99 cent store.

I've also bought beautiful co2 drop checker, check valves, needle valves, bubble counter all from eBay. No issues, cheap, 3 weeks to ship from Hong Kong.

Yes like everything else, there is bad stuff. Don't buy critical components that may cause a leak in your tank but other stuff... look at the vendors reviews, return policy, complaints, sale volumes, types of products typical sold, and you might be pleasantly surprised.

These are the curved scissors I'm considering: http://www.ebay.com/itm/252299442149?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

and here are the angled tweezers I own: http://www.ebay.com/itm/331944761177?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    TryHardDutchScaper likes this.
  6. keithgh

Its not only the rust its the hardness that holds its sharpness.

Its the same with SS screws there are many grades of SS only problem they all look the same when new.

If the makers of high quality tools could sell them cheaper they would.

Tim Harrison likes this.
  7. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Moderator Staff Member

I reckon the same factories that produce products for premium brands often use similar tooling and similar or cheaper materials to churn out copies which they can then sell cheaper.
    Prices are also often discounted because the manufacturers haven't had to invest in R&D either.
    But it still gives some idea of how much of a price hike premium brands can command.

I've noticed a lot of retailers here in the UK are selling imports from the far east, similar to those on eBay, but at a higher price; which is fine since they've had to source, and import the goods, and factor in the price of customer service as well.
    I guess the trick for a reputable retailer is to make eclectic product choices.

If you want to save yourself a few cents you can go straight to the manufacturer via eBay, but you pays your money you takes your chance since after sales service is likely to be non-existant.

8. keithgh

Tim

Excellent advice if you buy a product when of a holiday over seas and bring it back to Australia many guarantees are useless and service just does not exist.

9. keithgh

mexicat

Have you bought any quality scissors and or tweezers yet if so what did you buy?

10. mexicat

11. keithgh

mexicat

That is very cheap I hope they last and the scissors keep their sharp edge.

12. keithgh

13. mexicat

Haven't used them yet because the carpeting plants in my tank grow slow since they're low tech tanks. I've used the tweezers over 20 times now and they haven't rusted yet. I just make sure they're dry after each use.

keithgh likes this.
  14. keithgh

mexicat

Great that is what should be done.