1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Aquascaping Newbie

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by Kalli, Aug 4, 2013.

1. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

I agree with Shawn 110%

Most of that information comes via the LFS and is like a urban myth.

Keith:):)

greenfinger 2 likes this.

Sponsored link:

2. Swietla

Swietla New Member

Fish is not a human. Reaching your reasoning that you did not have enough space to keep the fish from Lake Malawi.
    Each species has different requirements for oxygen and water quality. Only this is important for fish.
    Not compare tench(Tinca tinca) to trout.
    Yes of course your fish must to have a place to swim.
    But the race to larger aquarium does not make sense. Deters people who want to try aquarium.
    Repetition about size of aquariums on aquarium forums is today like a disease

3. Ohly

Ohly Aspiring Aquascaper

I'm kind of new to the hobby and i recently built my own tank, so i had to ask and look around the multiple forums to know what would be the best dimensions.. in fact i could have copied the dimensions of a 10gal you can find at your LFS but i wanted a unique tank, my tank ain't big,
    It's roughly 11gal high tank
    Now I realise what is the thing about tank dimension, because my scape would look even better if my tank would have been 5 inches smaller..

My fishe's size is not a big concern because I only want small fishe so even adult, they don't outgrow the tank ..

Ps: my granny keep 4 gold fishes in a 25 gal long tank.. and the smaller of the fish just hit the 10 inches long... And they pretty seems to hate each other ....
    So in the end the dimensions are a concern if you want big fishes like carp ..

4. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

The point was to not drive them away from a small aquarium, it was to pick the best inhabitants of that aquarium. You said the fish grow to the size of their tank, this is true as is true with my person in a box analogy. The fish is unable to grow in a healthy manner therefore it should not be kept in a small tank. Your tank must not meet the size specifications of their territory in a natural habitat, that is following my reasoning down the wrong path. Please read the below article from folks who know way more about fish than I.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/stunted-growth-means-stunted-lives/

keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.